Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this haloween i want to scare people ****less and make people go OH WOW! but im also wanting to light up, and im wanting that done with UV lighting what would the best UV lighting for outside, also remember i dont mean outside in my garden i mean im going to be walking around and i dont know how to mount a good decent uv light to point at all the uv stuff on my body also whats the best stuff to make people go OH WOW! at me i also want it to be a very scary im probally gonna buy UV paint but i need alot more ideas to scare people thanks :D so heres my main question whats the best UV light for trick or treating around i need powerfull one that is portable and something else to amaze people and scare them thanks!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I can't think of anything that will accomplish what I think you are describing. It sounds like you want a way to project light onto yourself from all around. In my experience, fluorescent tubes give the best output, but i don't think you'll be able to be actively walking around with those and a power supply. Maybe some UV LEDs would be more practical, but having enough to illuminate your whole body evenly might be a challenge and they aren't as bright as fluorescents - maybe some of the bigger LED bulbs would do it.

Not sure what look you are going for, but you might look into EL (Electro Luminescent) wire instead of UV paints and lights. I haven't worked with it, but from what I've seen, it's not difficult to use - however it is somewhat delicate.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You might start by learning how to spell Halloween!
Awwww, HC, give the guy a break, it IS his first post. I would come down harder on someone that has 100 posts and spells Halloween that way.

Ok, Jake, now that spelling class is over, in regards to your situation. I think going with UV fluorescents is possible on a walk around costume. But the only way I could see illuminating a whole costume is the wear the apparatus on your head. The big problem being that one of the fluorescent tubes would be right over your eyes. So unless you are using some UV protection sunglasses, I don't think your eyes are going to like that kind of light in your face.

Another option would be to move the fluorescent fixtures to the chest / back area and have them point down. You will loose some of the details on the arms and shoulders, but most of the costume will be lit. As for the head, the suggestions to use EL wire is a good one.

By the way, what is it that you are trying to do? Perhaps if you communicate with us in detail what it is you are doing, perhaps we could be more helpful.

Geo

·
Registered
500 Posts
There are plenty of blacklight flashlights out there, both LED and (small) fluorescent, but for something like this it seems like you'd be better off using several UV floodlights positioned around the perimeter of the area you'll be walking in. That would give you the best continuous coverage, assuming that the area is relatively clear of obstructions. There are blacklight CFLs out there compatible with normal outdoor floodlights, but waterproofing may still be an issue, and you'll probably need a fair number of them to get the brightness you want. If you're really serious about it, you might look into theeatrical/DJ blacklights, which will be more powerful. In general, If you're using novelty/theatrical blacklights (NOT SHORTWAVE STERILIZATION/UNKNOWN SURPLUS UNITS), you don't have to worry too much about safety, but if you have a lot of them, and you'll be standing for extended periods under multiple lights, you can get eye strain/mild sunburn issues, so be aware of that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Another option would be to move the fluorescent fixtures to the chest / back area and have them point down. You will loose some of the details on the arms and shoulders, but most of the costume will be lit. As for the head, the suggestions to use EL wire is a good one.
Geo
Cheap and pretty good using Geo's method of projecting up or down under a backpack or vest. And battery operated. Although the reviews say they eat batteries. The effect you're going for is a tough one. http://www.amazon.com/Chauvet-NV-F4-Handheld-Blacklight-NVF-4/dp/B0002FDKSC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts