Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently finished building a 2' x 2' fog chiller box for this year's Halloween. At first I was going hide it in the back of my yard, behind another prop as it pumped out ground fog. Then I thought, why not just incorporate into my haunt - as a stand-alone prop (as it's kicking out fog) - rather than hiding it.

I'm trying to think what to do with the exterior of the box, and I thought about incorporating the whole Greek myth Pandora's Box to it. Pandora's Box seems like a fitting name considering all the mysterious smoke oozing from it (like all the evil in the world is trying to escape, which the myth suggests). Anyway, rather than just spray painting "Pandora's Box" on the front of it and call it a day, I wanted to get creative with the naming.

Something along the lines of:
If Lost Return to Pandora
To: Pandora, From Zeus
Keep Away From Pandora
Pandora's

Nothing I have thought of really excites me so I thought I would open it up for suggestions.

Much appreciated

·
Registered
465 Posts
Boy, that's a tough one. I know it's not what you're asking, but I would be hesitant about the whole Pandora theme in the first place. It's a word that no longer has only one meaning, and I think the ToTs are more likely to think of A) the music streaming service or B) the planet from the movie Avatar. I'd opt for disguising the fogger AS or WITHIN another prop. Some examples would be a cauldron, a coffin, a dragon's head, a gargoyle, etc.

But - if you have your heart set on it - my take would be "For Pandora." The simpler the better. Bonus points if you can get a Greek maiden of some kind (statue, mannequin, live actor, whatever) seemingly conjuring the smoke from within.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy, that's a tough one. I know it's not what you're asking, but I would be hesitant about the whole Pandora theme in the first place. It's a word that no longer has only one meaning, and I think the ToTs are more likely to think of A) the music streaming service or B) the planet from the movie Avatar. I'd opt for disguising the fogger AS or WITHIN another prop. Some examples would be a cauldron, a coffin, a dragon's head, a gargoyle, etc.

But - if you have your heart set on it - my take would be "For Pandora." The simpler the better. Bonus points if you can get a Greek maiden of some kind (statue, mannequin, live actor, whatever) seemingly conjuring the smoke from within.
Yea, you might have a good point about the "Pandora" name. It is a little watered down.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Can you post a photo? What if you made it into a gravestone/monument. Or make a leering skeleton to sit on top of it or something. Then you can have some sort of poem or tag line on the stone that would go with the fog coming out of it. Like spirit's breath or escaping souls?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you post a photo? What if you made it into a gravestone/monument. Or make a leering skeleton to sit on top of it or something. Then you can have some sort of poem or tag line on the stone that would go with the fog coming out of it. Like spirit's breath or escaping souls?
It's literally just a perfectly square white Styrofoam box (about 2 sq feet) that I still need to paint. However, the inside is framed out support the weight of the ice. I probably will be placing something decorative on the lid to help weigh it down to minimize fog from escaping out the top. But yea, I can certainly post a picture when I get home.

The poem/tag line about escaping souls might be cool. Maybe I'll do some research about that.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Cool. Maybe something like...

All through the night, the church bell tolls.
Each time you hear it, it releases cursed souls.

If you have background music, I'm sure you could find something with a bell in it.

Since it's just a white styrofoam box, that will be easy to cover up. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's some pictures of my fog chiller. I'll probably give it a paint job this weekend, but at least the inside is 100% complete. The picture with the two holes/slots at the bottom of the box is the front of the chiller I'm looking to do something with.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I finished painting it over the weekend. Then added some crossbones on each side and placed a skeleton head on the lid to make it look a little better. I also received my Chauvet 1301 fog machine from Amazon the other day and I'm itching to give it a test run. I'll be using Froggy's bog fog juice for the solution. I've read great reviews about both the machine and solution...so my expectations are pretty high. We'll see though.

If everything goes according to plan I'll post some pictures and possibly a video this next week.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Basically, I have it all ready to go. I took a short video of it in action in my garage. It was a little windy outside and the fog was just getting swept away the second it left the chiller. So I brought it in my garage and closed the door to get a still environment. The lid leaked a little, but not too bad...that's why you see some stones on it to seal it better.

Also, I still haven't decided what to put on the front. As you can kind of see, I have some plastic cross bones I tacked on to both sides of the chiller and a skeleton head on top facing forward.

I was pleased with the results, the Chauvet 1301 really kicks out the fog. However this will be useless if there's even a little wind on Halloween night. But I guess I'll worry about that 4 1/2 months from now.

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,305 Posts
What if the box itself was not given a label but made to look spooky and placed at the foot of a gravestone for Pandora with the box info written on the stone? It would be assumed that the mysterious box is the one mentioned on the grave stone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts