Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be making Halloween tombstones of a witch and black cat both of which I intend to utilize black light lighting for these props. I know that Wildfire Lighting makes excellent paint for black light purposes but was interested if anyone has had experience with any other paints that I could utilize. Also what black light products are anyone of you using to black light your props. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I only looked into this briefly so there are others that are way more knowledgeable but the most effective results I got with black light was with the fluorescent tubes. I’ve tried regular black light LED spots and wasn’t thrilled with the results.

There are newer setups that have the square fixtures that look like a regular halogen but are black lights. My impression is those are really cool and unlike the fluorescent tubes, weather friendly. Unfortunately these cool new ones were pricey enough to be out of my budget. I would love to do something with this effect though.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would like to know as well… since I plan on using paint that glows with black light on my tombstones for next year. Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
749 Posts
Lessons learned in Black Lights. I've had several questions regarding how I get my graveyard to glow. It has taken years of mistakes, trial and error. And I'm still learning. but here are my basics.

#1) I use a reflective base. All my lettering and details first get a base coat of white paint, preferably gloss. If you have a white that naturally fluoresces that is a bonus.

#2) I use a glow or fluorescent paint, 'neon' is not the same as fluorescent. Most of mine is cheap craft paint from Walmart. Give it several coats, or pour it in, just give plenty of time to dry (like days). I have considered going to Wildfire Paints, but the cost has been prohibitive.

#3) WAVELENGTH! As I've converted from Fluorescent tubes to LED, paying the extra $$ for the correct wavelength matters. 365nm is what is ideal for backlight effects. I went budget and my lights are around 395nm, which is more purple than I would like, but still provides a strong glow. Depends if you want the 'true' black light, or if you are OK with the purplish glow. 365nm are more expensive and harder to find.

#4) Placement.. Too close can be almost as bad as too far away. I've found straight on, or from slightly above works better than below and angled up. remember, that there are still shadows, so keep the angles and 'line of sight' clear.

I have LED floods similar to these. they are the 395 nm.
Human body Rectangle Computer monitor accessory Office equipment Gas

This display has 4x 4' Fluorescent black light tubes in 2 hidden shop light fixtures plus 3-4 of the LED floods.
Plant Sky Building Light Purple

Light World Organism Rectangle Art
Purple Organism Font Aqua Gas

Here is the Enclosure I built for the Shop the lights. I still use these as they give the more true Black light with less purple. The enclosures were built to protect the shop lights from the elements.
Plant Nature Leaf Cemetery Headstone
Automotive lighting Purple Bumper Violet Visual effect lighting

The tombstone in front has just the Fluorescent tube black light on it. The ones behind have the 395nm LED floods. you can clearly see the extra purple glow that comes with the 395nm LED.

Blue Purple Font Plant Gas

·
Registered
366 Posts
Wow, just wow! Your display looks fantastic! The enclosure for the tubes is brilliant! I painted the back of the fixtures black so they were not blatantly obvious but totally at the mercy of the elements so I had to bring them in every night and if there was rain they stayed indoors. The year it rained lightly on Halloween and no one came because it was dark was my last year with black lights sadly. It never even crossed my mind to stick them in a prop... Do you have something clear on the back over the lights or they are just recessed?

I’m wanting to do a big, short, Pumpkinrot style jack o lantern with the glow effect. Wonder if I could get away with shorter fluorescent tubes in a prop or I’ll have to suck it up and get one of the weatherproof square black light fixtures… Hoping the prices have come down…

How does the paint hold up in the weather? I don’t leave my jack o lanterns out since they are mostly celluclay or Funkins but want one to leave out all month then turn backwards to set on the front porch for November.

Thanks for showing your display, again, beautiful job!

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
749 Posts
The fixtures have heavyweight plastic sheeting sealing them in. They do get some condensation on them, but overall they have survived several seasons. One thing I struggled with is the tubes would wiggle loose, so this year I put a dab of hot glue on the 'socket' and tube to hold them in place.

The fluorescent paint has held up well over the years. It does get dirty, so need to clean it out yearly. I have needed to refresh the paint every couple of years, mostly due to dirt and weathering. I've gotten into the habit of just pouring the paint into the carvings, spread it around and let it dry thick. It takes a long time to dry, but the end result is worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts