Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next year for my event I want to make a zombie shooting game consisting of a moving lifesize zombie target (nothing complicated..can be on an oscilating fan) where people shoot at him in certain areas with an Infrared gun.

My easiest thought was to just buy a child's game and dismantle it. If you view the video below and fastforward to 1:00. I can just add wire and move the targets across the body and then redesign them for asthetic purposes. It keeps score and jumps from target to target.

Only problem is, this toy isn't available in the U.S. until December 2015....

SO... Do any of you have any ideas for SIMPLE plans or suggestions on how a novice like me can attempt to build one of these thing? Its basically a laser pointer shooting into a PIR, but I have no skill in building circuits. However I am willing to attempt if it's simple. A good suggested hack may be better. Maybe a modified porch motion sensor can be linked to various things (such as a shiatsu massager) to allow animation once its shot? Keeping score would be very nice if it can be done

Please let me know!!

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this for a couple of years now. It was a really big thing at haunts across the country this year, but brought up a problem: the guns are pretty delicate. And that's with professional models. I'm afraid an off-the-shelf toy wouldn't last more than a few minutes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it operates using a regular old infrared light, In theory I think a laser pointer could even work. The market is flooded with guns that can be substitutes for this, so far I think this one is my favorite:
http://interactivetoy.com/parts/product_info.php?cPath=41_69&products_id=207
you need to pump it between every shot! You can always modify it to be in a more durable casing.

I have literally searched for the past 48 hours on different products that I could use. I found one that I absolutely loved, however they don't make it anymore and I missed the boat: http://www.geekalerts.com/zombie-shooting-gallery/
This would have been perfect if it was still available ANYWHERE on the internet

Some other alternatives I've seen might include this http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Real-Life-Electronic-FPS-Laser-Tag-Battle-Jacket-Shooting-Game-Men-s-Size-XL-NEW/215063246?gpid=68416460221&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&gclid=CjwKEAiAj-KiBRC48YzhnLSg0D0SJAClOhK3trG-VamWcveXJ85QeSDdMGxtcbgDr_cZaXscyrOeDhoCbjrw_wcB

The sensors literally just clip on...I love that it's simple..however I think u have to go through EACH and every single sensor to "Reset" it.

If you know of any other products to hack, let me know... with all the cheap crap they sell around Christmas time...I never knew this would be such a difficult thing to find.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I saw that zombie shooting gallery a while back. Wish I had bought it for my kids. Looked very cool. Have you checked eBay for it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah unfortunately haven't found any on ebay or google shop either. It seems to be nonexistent. This has been surprisingly difficult. The other game I have found is this one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrnoaQId4Io but the spinning targets make it a problem. If I were to put them on a lifesi'ze zombie, Iwould obviously remove the cardboard animals, but if it were to spin...there would be no indication to shoot that target if it was landed on the "hunter"; The animal noises don't help either lol
I am just basically coming up with a new game that adults would have fun playing for my event. The event I do is a Halloween Party to raise money for alzheimers research. Im just trying to think of new ways to raise money for the cause nexdt year. An old plan I had was to build a giant gruesome lifesize version of the game "Operation" and use a chainsaw (with magnetic tip) to extract body parts. It would be simple to make, but I think the Zombie Shoot game would be easier, less set up, and more engaging.
If you have any ideas on other products I could use or hack, let me know. I was considering laser tag toys, but haven't found one that is extremely basic that keeps score with a basic target.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thought I had was motion sensors like the ones on a porch...if you put those domes over the sensor like the domes on a PIR... I wonder if it would block out all light except for the infrared light.. allowing whatever is connected to the motion sensor to animate when triggered. This would be a lot of fun, but there would be no idea on how to keep score

1 - 6 of 6 Posts