Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am a newbie and am hosting a Halloween Party this year for my daughter's 14th birthday. She would like to have rooms with different themes. I am looking for a way to tie the different rooms together and am turning to all your twisted minds for ideas....

She would like at minimum a crime scene, a laboratory or morgue, a gothic vampire area (but no twilight she says) and an area that glows in the dark that they can dance in. We get into Halloween but have never hosted a party which seems rather pathetic now. Her friends are all drama geeks and so they really get into this stuff which helps. But I have no clue to where to go with it since it goes so many different directions. Any ideas on a main theme to tie it all together with a birthday? Invite ideas?

Any and all feedback greatly appreciated!! :confused:

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
My mind automatically goes to a mystery... it's default because it's what I do. You could do a forensic vamp goth mystery and have people collect evidence in each room. Let me know if you do and I can give you some help!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sounds like you already have a plan for the party! All those rooms and ideas will work and the kids will have fun. Just think of an activity or game for each area and your set.

I've hosted a few teen parties in my time and have found that their attention is short and eventually they want to chat, hang out, dance, and constantly move from one part of the house to another (also known as the look-at-me-strut). I hosted a Harry Potter party for my 13 year old girl. The games were fun but the dancing was the hit. I pulled out my smoke machine, strobe lights, rope lights, and disco lights.

You could pre-hire some of the drama geeks to "act out" at certain points of the party to start a game, activity, contest, etc. Maybe act as the dead body, lab doctor, detective, vampire, etc.

Since all/most kids have cell phones, you could get their numbers programmed into your phone or computer, then at some point in the party send a "Gossip Girl" style text message to everyone about the murder mystery (good idea mysterymaiden). Send a few messages throughout the night: a mental patient has escaped from the lab, a murder has happened in the backyard (as a result of the escaped patient), and come to find out that it was actually a vampire slaying and the escaped patient is either a human pet, or a vampire itself. Misdirection is important - get the kids in one part of the house so your actor can set up in the other part.

Since drama geeks love dressing up, you could then vamp-up everyone in vampire teeth, pale white makeup and bite marks, raise goblets of blackberry koolaid, and let the dancing begin! UNNTS! UNNTS! UNNTS! UNNTS!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd make the kitchen the lab/morgue... it'd be the easiest. Turn the refrigerator into the "ice box" for "bodies"... you could even put a brain jello mold or something in the 'fridge. Start collecting bottles. Add labels to bottles and fill with party drinks or toppings (if you're doing eye-scream or something)...

I'd make the driveway and/or front entry the "crime scene"... but some of that caution tape (I think it's out at Michael's... or check Target when they get Halloween out)... Chalk outlines on the driveway. Maybe even some blood spatter on the driveway with some water colour paint.

You could have a photo area to take police mug shots-- just the thing with the height lines and maybe a little name-sign for people to hold?

I'd go "Vampire Nightclub" for the whole glowing scene-- black lights... strobe lights... flashing colors.... disco ball? Glowsticks aplenty. Glow in the dark yarn (Michael's had some last year... haven't seen it this year yet, but it does make a good spider web). Glow in the dark paint-- buy black plastic tablecloths and drape them from the ceiling... and paint glowing handprints on them? Glow in the dark spiderwebs I've seen at Target.

For "Gothic Vampire"... what about a room that's light with some soft lights-- blues and oranges for some contrasting shadows... where people can just "hang out" in.... have cobwebs, spiders, coffins, Gothic goblets, bats, rats... maybe a few skeletons.... like a Victorian mansion... or a high-class vampire mausoleum...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are awesome!! These ideas are amazing.

I like the 7 deadly sins and the mystery idea but have never done one so I don't know about how to do it. I love the idea of the drama geeks acting stuff out. A few of them have had a little extra and walk-on work so I am sure they would be up for it. Oh, and she has a friend and he is an amazing magician - even performs at the magic castle sometimes. Maybe I could hire him and work his act into the whole party?

I never would have thought of any of this. Oh and I love the "gossip girl" texting!!! I even have a google phone number that would be perfect.

Kitchen will be the lab/morgue - love the fridge idea. I have stainless steel and never even thought of it. What a great idea.

The crime scene being in the front of the house is awesome. We have a cemetery out there every year so maybe I can use that in it. Love the photo op being a mug shot!! Maybe I can tie it in with the guest sign in?

Any invitation ideas?

She wants me to do both a hand delivered invitation (we are having someone dress up to deliver) and a webpage where kids can RSVP and we can post details, etc. Never used one of those services before. Has anyone else?

The house definitely works for an old Mansion that Vampires use. Anyone know how to create a classy mausoleum?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts