Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice from parents of 12/13 year olds. Each Halloween party we show an outdoor mivie. Began in PreL 4 and now they are in 7th grade. Movies shown in orde: Monster House, Nightmare B4 Christmas, Monsters vs aliema, Diary of a wimpy Kid, Ghostbusters, GB 2, Gremlins, Poltergeist (original). Only Ghostbusters and Poltergeist had some content edited. DS wants go kick it up a knotch and show The Ring. While it is only pg13 I find some of the content to be disturbing. Has anyone out therw seen it and can give me your opinion. I do think it is an awesome movie buy maybe for a different age group. But its pg 13. Am I being to worried?

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,162 Posts
Just send out an "ok" to parents that you will be showing that movie. If they are ok with it, then play it. Remember - they will be watching talking laughing and commenting. So it may not be the same effect as just watching it in the dark at home with 2 or 3 family members. Thats my experience with my sons even though except for 1 they are all chickens....:D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think Matrixmom has it right - verifying with the other parents that it's ok with them, and letting your son know that if one parent says 'no', then it's off the table because you want all his friends to be able to come without being embarrassed that they aren't allowed to see it.

Another thing to consider though - once you start stepping it up, they will probably want to keep doing that each year. I would think about what the point of the movie is - is it to be scared? is it to just be a background event while the party happens around it? If the movie is not so much the focus of the party, then maybe you should just choose to keep it more tame without even asking the other parents, even if your son is bummed out for now.

It's a tough call as the kiddos get bigger, trying to figure out what they are & aren't ready for. Plus I know I have the tendency to want my kids to be as "little" as they can be, while they can. So much of the world is looking to toughen them up, I feel like I want to keep them innocent, you know?

Good luck with your choice!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,951 Posts
There are plenty of movies out there that would be more suitable if you decide to not go with Ring.

Wait, is this the American version of The Ring or the Japanese version? Because Japanese horror movies are pretty effed up in general. Wait until they're older for the Japanese versions.

Try Something Wicked This Way Comes, Little Monsters, Spaced Invaders (a very little known movie from the 90s that is about some non-threatening type aliens that invade on Halloween & get all kinds of messed up), Lady in White or Watcher in the Woods. Those were the movies that, back in my vid clerkin' days, I'd recommend to kids who thought they were grown up enough to handle "real" horror movies yet we all knew they were terrified little kids not even remotely ready for the "real" stuff.

In fact if anyone here hasn't seen Spaced Invaders you should get it STAT!! Kids will love it & it takes place on Halloween.

They're scary, atmospheric, not gory, &, as much as it pains me to say this, to the kids they're OLD movies so they most likely haven't seen any of them.

·
Creepy Homeschool Mom
778 Posts
What about the older classics? Too dusty? How about "newer" ones like Beetlejuice, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the Mummy(new), Sleepy Hollow?

*I know I'm not exactly who you were asking, but I still felt the need to chime in. Sorry!

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
There is a lovely website called CommonSense Media. Type in the movie book, videogame, etc. and it will not only tell you the age, but also many details about the movie. People can enter their own reviews so it also includes a parent and kid rating. So The Ring is for ages 16, parents say age 13 and kids say age 12. https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/the-ring

A much scarier movie was Woman in Black and that was a PG-13 movie. Scared the pants off my then 14 year old.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Many years ago in the JCs we showed a gym full of kids, the old Hammer film"Vampire Circus" I narrated it to make it funny. A few years ago I watched the adult version! WOW! glad we had the one we had that night!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
It is a good idea to ask the parents of the other kids. But if a parent says no, the kid might end up getting teased about it. The fact of which parent it was that said no will get out. They might even announce it themselves. But truthfully, by the time there kids are 13, they've probably already seen half of the movies already. Some parents don't care what their kids watch, and the kids can watch anything they want while they are there. I had a babysitter whole let the kids watch scary shows, and I didn't find out about it until years later. I think matrixmom is right, there will be so much going on the movie might just end up being background noise.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I use common sense media all the time and they rated it 16. I send out movie tickets with the invitation so it is clear as to what will be shown so there is no need to make any calls. There is no gore in this movie. I would never show that. I think my concern is switching from a more lighthearted fun scary movie to a more dramatic scary movie. The good thing about this movie is that the jump scares are very close to the beginning of the film so I am hoping to catch their Attention right away. I agree with uou that woman in black was scary (beautiful cinematography by the way). but dark (literally) films dont play will outside.
I think I might go for it! Yikes!!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
FWIW, The Ring (US version) is one of just a handful of movies that gave me nightmares as an adult. Doesn't mean kids can't handle it, but I'd go for something a little lighter.

It depends on the kids, of course. I started my goddaughter off on Hitchcock at 9, but they might not be action-packed enough.

·
Registered
963 Posts
You could try William Castle movies. I keep recommending them to people, and I'm obviously partial to them, but I really think they hit a certain note very nicely: "13 Ghosts" (the original, NOT the R-rated remake!) and "House on Haunted Hill" (the original, NOT the R-rated remake!) are both spooky with some genuinely scary stuff, occasionally. They are considered mild today, and have that black-and-white thing going for them; they appear "vintage" and are not likely to intimidate very many people. All the same, they will deliver memorable chills. In other words, they're scary and atmospheric, but not too much.

The original "House on Haunted Hill" was made in 1959, and the original "13 Ghosts" in 1960.

These were remade some 40 years later, with tasteless gruesome effects, and marketed as gruesome R-rated fare. I was not very pleased or impressed. I do not recommend the remakes. They may have their moments but they are not, IMO, memorable films.

William Castle was a filmmaker of another time, but I think his stuff holds up pretty well nowadays. He made horror films specifically for marketing to wide audiences including kids, because he knew people wanted to be scared. So he delivered platefuls of scares. But he also had what many filmmakers of today do not have: an understanding of how not to go "too far," especially when making scary films that the whole family could enjoy.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would love those movies. In fact I have seen both. However DS and. friends would not like them at all. We showed Poltergeist last year and he thought that looked so dated. CGI has totally spoiled these kids. We watched woman in black yesterday, which I thought was pretty scary and he said it wasn't scary at all, so maybe I am
overthinking things.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Maybe the newer stuff is okay, if they can handle it. Check with the other parents to make sure it's okay, and go for it.

On a side note, I thought Woman in Black was reasonably scary, with very frightening images. In fact, I'm surprised it got a PG-13. I don't know how it avoided getting an R rating. It's not bloody, but it has a general intensity and a vicious quality that I found pretty shocking.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would go with something more like Beatlegeuse, paranorman, the addams family, The Goonies, that kind of thing. At a push, the Exorcist or Nightmare on Elmstreet....;)

·
Registered
963 Posts
If no good candidates come up, there IS always that old standby, "Night of the Living Dead" (1968).

It's got a nude zombie seen briefly, from behind, walking. For about two seconds--pretty tame. No language issues to speak of. Graphic violence, but pretty simple in terms of effects (mostly chocolate syrup for blood...it's in black and white).

Devoid of modern effects, well, of course it is, since it's an old movie. But it still scares the crap out of me, and I first saw it decades ago.

It is one of the most reliably scary films around. I'll bet almost any kid seeing it will be surprised at how freakin' scary it is.

But it avoids a lot of the issues you're looking to avoid.

It's probably my best recommendation for a seriously scary film that kids can watch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts