Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just corpsed up my first skeleton and I am kind of at a loss for painting/staining it. I often see references to "dry brushing". Can anyone tell me what that is or how it is done?

I have seen some really awesome corpse jobs here over the years. What colors or techniques have worked best for those who have done it.

Thanks, I look forward to your input.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dry brushing is just where you wipe almost all the paint off of the brush before you use it. The colors will depend on what kind of look you are going for, but in general you'll want to put down a base coat (grey, green, brown) and then dry brush over that. You can use a huge variety of what might otherwise be garish or crazy colors including browns and pretty much any color in the rainbow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Color can be whatever works for you. You can go to Stiltbeast Studio's youtube page to see Allen Hopps demonstrate dry brushing on a corpsed skelly. He used a yellow, as did I with mine and turned out fine. The trick with dry brushing is to load the brush with a little paint, then, on something you're using as a pallet, a piece of plywood, cardboard, whatever- brush most of the paint away until little is left and lightly brush that onto your project with broad strokes, highlighting the raised areas which gives depth and definition. This is done over an already stained piece- I used a darker stain, brushing on liberally and wiping off - and did fine.

As Bob Ross used to say, "There are no mistakes, only happy accidents." Good luck and be sure to show us the finished product! :)

·
Never try to eat a zombie
778 Posts
I always use different colored stains, I get the best affect if using the plastic painters tarp if i spray paint it a very light grey. then put on the stains, dry brushing, for extra detail I use some spray adhesive, and toss a lil bit of sand on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just corpsed up my first skeleton and I am kind of at a loss for painting/staining it. I often see references to "dry brushing". Can anyone tell me what that is or how it is done?

I have seen some really awesome corpse jobs here over the years. What colors or techniques have worked best for those who have done it.

Thanks, I look forward to your input.
Dry brushing is the only technique I use on my Halloween work.
To start you apply your darkest color.
Once dry you come back with lighter & lighter color's.
The term dry brush is used because before you apply the paint to the your work, you brush out most of the paint on a scrap or paper, or card board ( I like cereal boxes- stays put.).

Some people only paint the crevices black, I personally paint the entire project black, because I really like the fine details of scratches & dents that already happened to the foam before you started. It's ecco's of natural aging.
Let each layer of color dry before you move to next color, other wise it will blend and look muddy.
Than I dry brush a dark gray, medium gray and finally light gray.
I do sometimes do just a touch of white on the very top of something I want to highlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dry bushings can be done in many different colors. And even looks nice to enhance Spanish Moss

1 - 13 of 13 Posts