Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to all these fantastic builds and I need a great deal of help. First question is, where exactly can i get the "blueing agent" to soak the cheese cloth in for a couple FCG's? I have read it is in detergent but I have been down several detergent isles and non of them have the stupid ingredients on them. If anyone can let me know which detergent I need I would appreciate it greatly.
Also, can anyone suggest the best way to carve a large foam pumpkin? I am going to give my best shot to making a pumpkinrot type scarecrow and I would like to carve a big foam pumpkin for the head. I priced them today and they aint cheap so I dont want to mess it up. Gotta get it right the first time so any suggestions/info anyone can give me would be fantastic.
Im sure I will have many more question as I go so thanks so much for the help in advance. I really love this site, it has so many great suggestions on props and so many great people.
All the best to everyone with there builds, audible

·
Registered
184 Posts
i have the exact pumpkin item number he used on his sentinels if you want it just let me know. i use a razor knife on one of mine to carve the face you have better control . then the rest is painting and dry brushing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you look for RIT brand fabric dye, I think they make a "blueing agent". If not, I'm pretty sure they make a whitener that does the same thing. You could also use flourescent blue spray paint. Check your local hobby store.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In Germany we can get the blueing from amazon - I think you should get it in america too.
Cutting foam: There are several tools available at www.harborfreight.com.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've always used liquid fabric detergent. Just mix a bit with water, soak the cheesecloth in it and then wring it out and toss it in the dryer. My ghost still glows brilliantly after 4 or 5 years! And most people already have this around the house anyway so its cheap!

For the pumpkin, the pumpkinrot stuff is mostly papier mache, not a carved foam pumpkin. You could try your hand at that and it would be WAY cheaper than those darn Funkins, and if you mess up, just hack it up and start over! :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've found that if you go to any store and usually on the bottom rack, any detergent that comes in a cheap plastic bag, is usually the best bet! Most of those off brands that are inexpensive have a high phosphorus content (which is what gives the "blueing effect"). Those and RIT seem to be the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts