Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a large yard and I've started to expand from the porch to the yard with static props. I have just one problem. We live on a hill in Central Pa and the winds can get REALLY bad. Especially up on the hill. I can forget about making the usual tombstones. They'll rip apart and blow away. What I need is very sturdy tombstones and ones in which I can use rebar to plant it firmly in the ground. Any ideas?

·
Bringing the Dead to Life
839 Posts
There have been discussions of just gluing pvc to the back, and sliding rebar, pounded into the ground, into the pvc but if you are worried about the pvc breaking off, you could drill up through the bottom of the foam, and insert pvc inside the bottom of the stone, and slide it over rebar. Or, glue a piece of plywood to the back of the stone, with PVC attached to it, and slide it onto rebar.

Here's a discussion: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/50846-tomb-stone-help.html

Here's what I did, since its windy in NEPA, too:

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
I've tried attaching PVC to the back of mine, and also attaching thin plywood with pvc attached to that. In a good wind it still rips it off. I really like the idea of putting the pvc inside the stone and sliding it over the rebar. Those have held up the best for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Last year, '08, we had really bad wind here. Our tombstones were made with the 2 inch pink foam and I worried about them blowing away. So I took some wood strips and glued them to the back vertically--with glue that was made specifically for foam by loctite i believe--and then screwed wooden stakes (that came from a local hardware store) to the strips. And the stakes were pounded into the ground about 3 inches or more. They stayed up and didn't rock and the winds --according to the weatherman-- were gusting over 40 mph.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts