Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new here and I am only a high school student who does a small halloween yard haunt with a few friends each Halloween. This year, we are putting a wooden cross in the garage area with fog and lighting, and having a "victim" up on the cross. The victim, which is one of us, is going to be "killed" infront of the trick of treaters and we are going to have fake body parts and blood and stuff.

At first, I thought that the person on the cross should wear just normal clothes and maybe some blood on his face and the clothes. Now, I am thinking that maybe the person on the cross should have some sort of costume, as at some points in the night, the person on the cross may be used a scare in itself with the person jumping off and towards the trick or treaters.

The only costume I can kinda think of is an orange jumpsuit for the person who will be on the cross. Are there ANY ideas that you all have about this? Maybe we will go with the regular clothes with blood option, but I dont know if that really fits with what we are trying to show. Its just that the person on the cross is a victim and going to be killed in front of the trick or treaters, so any ideas on a costume would be REALLY appreciated.

Thank you very much!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I think crucifixion, I think loincloth - at the most. It's a time-and-place kinda thing with me.

For what you guys are doing, a shredded shirt and slacks might do the trick, like a hitch-hiker picked up and brutalized before the execution. Make him/her look like a regular person victimized by the killers.

If you're trying to show a prisoner executed, it's gonna look odd giving an ancient death sentence to a modern-day inmate.

I'd want to know more of what you're up to, more of the story.

·
Registered
119 Posts
be careful with crucifixion theme

Hey HGevan,
Don't know which part of the country you're in, but down here in the "Bible belt" (the South), you could get arrested for doing a crucifixion scene! I love seeing young people get enthused about Halloween, but be sure to think about your audience. A 5-year-old may be very frightened by a death scene, and his mom might be offended in a religious context by a crucifixion. If you changed from a cross to a dungeon wall, or even a tree, that might help. And when very small ToT's (trick-or-treaters) come by, maybe tone it down to screaming or moaning and threatening.

I remember a few years back a home haunter made national news because the dummy hanging by a noose in her yard had a dark-colored face. It was just a prop she had purchased and hung, but some people thought it looked too much like a lynching scene.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I totally agree with what chartreuse said. If it not for a set audience and just trick or treaters, I would think about changing the scenery up a little bit. A cross is a little much for a lot of people, Bible belt or not. I do agree that a tree (not hanging from one but tied to one) would be a little better, but if you do not have access to a tree where the victim is supposed to be, I would maybe just have the victim tied up to a post. You could even put firewood around them and make it look like a stake burning.

If you are set on doing the cross, and if the victim is a female, I might get a flowing white dress or roman style dress costume with some blood on it. That would be pretty fitting for the time period of crucifixion. If it is a man, tattered "old day clothes" (I'm talking Biblical period) would work out well. You could probably find a friar or monk costume and alter it to fit

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
If you are worried about the cross idea and have enough wood you could change it to a torture rack (Tokyo Tower Wax Museum on Flickr - Photo Sharing!). Your victim could be a lost hiker/hunter/ street walker/ alien etc. whatever you like to fit the time period you feel like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts