Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a silly question but couldn't find an answer using search. I'm a first time builder of a couple of Lindberg pirate skulls and want to put some light up eyes in them. The eyes will just be stationary - right now I'm not doing any servo motion of the eyes so I want to keep it simple. The effect I'm going for is this:

YouTube - Hacked Gemmy Skull Sings a Tune

I'll put leds in the eyes to light them up. However the ping pong balls I got are a bit too big for the eye sockets. I think they are 40mm, which I guess is a standard ping pong ball diameter. But my question is what do you recommend for a cheap hollow plastic sphere for the skull eyes?

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
If you find a ball of any color that is the proper size (or even form one out of modeling clay), you can make a simple plaster mold of half of it, fill it with hot glue, and light that up. Works like a charm.
If you need the whole eyeball, simply glue 2 halves together.

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
You can use the "ball" part of roll-on anti perspirant. They are the right size and are kind of translucent which diffuses the light very well.

Yeah, what he said. Get some cheap roll-on deoderant balls that are 1 inch in diameter (25mm). They fit the Lindberg eye sockets well as they are normal human size. You can drill out the back 1/4 inch to accommodate 5mm leds easily.

Good Tutorial here: Haunters Hangout Easy Eyes

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Deodorant - what a great idea... I'll have to give it a try... For eyes I mean... ;) :p

Great link for creating the eyes. Also the glue eye I hadn't thought of either. Thanks for the good suggestions. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I used some rubber eyes in mine.I would need to remember where I got them.Then I put LEDs in the back of them.Not quite as white as yours,but a good option.1st pic day 2nd crappy pic but shows the lite.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dr. Morbius thanks for the tip I was going to head to Walgreen's today but was thinking if there was a cheaper way to do it.

Kammo let me know if you get a response, I'll be interested in getting some for future products.

Skullboy, those look fantastic - that's the effect I'm going for!

Thanks for all the great ideas.

·
Registered
319 Posts
electr0n I got an email back today from that company about the deodorant balls asking how many and what size so I sent them the 1" and a dozen depending on the price. So I should hear back from them soon. Ill let you know.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok so forget comlex plastics.. They are saying for 12 transparent deodorant balls plus shipping to my house would be $50
Ummm dont ever see that happening.... Guess its the dollar store for me.
Unless someone else has found a place that we can order them in bulk for A LOT less?????

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used some rubber eyes in mine.I would need to remember where I got them.Then I put LEDs in the back of them.Not quite as white as yours,but a good option.1st pic day 2nd crappy pic but shows the lite.

Skullboy, did you drill out the back of the rubber eyes and place the led in the socket? I'd really like to do this to make it a little more snug, although I doubt it would matter...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts