Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Been a crazy year. We moved to a new area and want to do a small Halloween party for two teen boys. Kinda late in the year to try this but thought it would be a good ice breaker. We have an open basement completely unfinished about 20 X 30 with stairs in the middle. One small window so darkness would not be a problem. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated for games etc.... Wife is real good with creative food ideas but not sure what to do for a few activities. Fairly small yard but outside ideas are an option with a reduced space. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Do you already have a theme in mind? The first step is always to decide your theme, then everything else will fall into place. Were you thinking of creating a haunted house? A carnival? A Monster Mash theme? If you set a theme, it will make all the other planning so much easier. Is there anything that resonates with you right of the bat?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since it's specifically for teen boys I would suggest a zombie/graveyard theme. If you have an Xbox, Xbox One, or some type of PlayStation I would suggest getting a used copy or rent a zombie video game and bringing a setup down stairs into the 'zombie graveyard'. Skeletons, zombies, and eerie green lighting or mini strobes would add a very creepy element to game play. Couple that with some creative Halloween treats on buffet and the kids will be more than entertained!

If video games are out of the question, then rent or buy some scary movies with the same type atmosphere. Kids will scare themselves in a dark basement. They only need subtle nudges.

If all electronics are out of the question, then you could get some games like the séance board and Halloween theme card games. Pipe in some super creepy music and food and the kids should have fun.

Or you could make it very 'campy' with a graveyard and readings from things like Scary Stories and More Scary Stories or make up some stories to scare the 'campers'. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Maiden and HalloweenKitten, A theme would definitely help with the planning process. I do have a small grave yard set up I use but could easily move that indoors. I considered incorporating the X box just wasn't sure how. The zombie idea is great the kids cant seem to get enough of killing zombies. bores me to death after the first five minutes but the kids love it. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thank you Maiden and HalloweenKitten, A theme would definitely help with the planning process. I do have a small grave yard set up I use but could easily move that indoors. I considered incorporating the X box just wasn't sure how. The zombie idea is great the kids cant seem to get enough of killing zombies. bores me to death after the first five minutes but the kids love it. Thank you for your input.

If you use a game console, I'd suggest bringing down a TV and setting it on top of a 'tombstone' in the middle of the graveyard. Throw a bunch of pillows and blankets on the ground. Teen kids are easy to keep happy and scared with games, food, and a little ambience. Set a time limit on the game play and maybe switch to a 'nerf' zombie hunt outside once it's dark and the kids are ready to scare themselves outside. Use any adults for some jump scares if you're feeling adventurous.

Personally, zombie stuff is boring to me too. However teen boys love that stuff.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
An option that you could do outside or even inside is to set up some "zombie targets" and fill up some squirt guns & super soakers with glow-in-the-dark, non-toxic & water based paint. Then the kids could shoot targets or even each other in a crazy game of hide & seek. If you wanted them to go against each other, you could buy black or white t-shirts & have the kids put those on. If you hung up painters drop cloths over a good portion of your walls, put some targets in front of that, and then any off shoots of the GID paint would go onto the painters cloth & would glow. Plus you'd have those cloths you could use in the future for other events or another Halloween party.

Another option is water balloon volleyball. You set up a volleyball net, and fill some balloons with water. Go with orange & black for the Halloween theme. Then, get some bedsheets at a thrift store and each team gets a bedsheet. They all hold onto parts of it. The object of the game is to bounce the balloon back & forth by using the sheets, without letting it touch the ground. They have to work together to move around & do this, so it's not that easy.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I love the idea of the zombie targets from Jenn&MattfromPA. The graveyard theme would fit nicely with the zombies - you could go for modern zombies or even the traditional type (A la the Thriller video) and get some hands from the dollar store and have them poking out of the graves, as though reaching out from the dirt!

I just have a caution about the xbox - plan it for the end of the evening, but don't tell them they will be able to play until it's time. I did something similar with a group of mostly boys, and all they did was sit and play video games - they weren't interested in the other activities because they just wanted to play the video games. Not sure of your group (our host boy wanted everyone else to do other things but the other kids just headed for the TV/Gaming Console) but it may be better to err on the side of caution - once the other stuff is done, announce they can play.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Walmart sells Zombie targets.

I would suggest nerf guns. Make them hunt the zombies, give them clues. If you could get a little help, have some helpers dress like the zombies and chase them or hide and scare the crap out of them.............

·
Registered
569 Posts
Teens? My son is 12 and we did fhose things when he was 9. While I would love to say he would still enjoy those things he would not. He is just getting to the music age, just hanging out age. Save yourself some grief, do an outdoor movie and a campfire for smores. Put up crazy decorations. Lots of flourescent black light stuff. If they are new then invite girls and boys. How big is his grade? The theme is Halloween. You dont really need more. Pizza, nachos, frito pie. I agree it will be a great way for them to introduce themselves. Just make sure no one else does a H party. You don't want to step on anyones toes. Dont forget popcorn and candy if you do a movie. We have done this for 8 years. Works everytime.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts