Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year Im adding a projector in the garage to display the bone chillers video fx. My projector displays from top to bottom very well but is short on the sides. I added a photo so you can see about how much its short by.
I need some ideas on what I can put on the sides to cover up the blank sections. Im thinking curtains on the side or plywood painted black with showtimes or something.
Door.jpg

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would do the curtains. Buy cheap plastic ones from Dollar Tree. If you can find ones with spiders on them that would be perfect. Or a black material with spiders. But the curtains would make it look like an actual stage.

How are you projecting ? From the front or back ? And what are you projecting onto ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Im projecting from inside with a 1080 4000L projector. I looking at carl's projector cloth or I might try to weld a few shower curtains together. Not sure how well it will look with seams so I starting on it now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is what the video will look like. The garage background is not mine I just grabbed the photo from google, I need to find a better photo of someones CLEAN garage lol. This is the same thing as a green screen but in this case I remove the black. I might even add a video over this one of my garage door opening and closing.

This one looks a bit better

·
Registered
68 Posts
I did something similar last year with a projection. I utilized black plastic tarp from Home depot to cover the sides (and ceiling) of the screen. Its cheap and comes in a huge roll. https://www.homedepot.com/p/HUSKY-4-ft-x-50-ft-Black-4-mil-Plastic-Sheeting-CF0404-50B/202184067

I placed my mesh screen in the middle of the garage, this way there would be objects in the foreground and background, adding to the illusion and making it seem as though its not a projection. Take a look toward the very end of the video and you can see a ghost fly directly in front of the pumpkin. The effect was better in person than on video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfI37mGJ4WE

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link I like how you did that. I might use wood shaped like a curtain. That way I can paint it like a old beat up curtain and I can make them in sections. That would make it easy to setup and take down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have used black tarp before as well but I prefer cloth, especially for projections as it absorbs light better. At the flea markets around here you can get it for $1-$2 a yard. Regardless if you use tarp or cloth, I would put some jute in front of the tarp as well to dress it up a bit.

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
I like the idea of a curtain-look on the sides giving it more of a performance stage look. If you want color to set off the curtain, I wonder if colored plastic tablecloths from Dollar Tree would work well as your curtain material. Certainly would hold up to rainy weather if you get a wet night and maybe preferable to wet fabric that could get heavy. Looks like the ones I'm seeing online there run 54 inches wide by 108 inches long. The length should be more than enough from top to bottom with extra at the bottom to anchor for the average garage door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts