Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently trying to figure out an easy way to make the head of a kraken. The tentacles that we made to go around the ghost pirate ship are between 8 and 12 feet long. We want the head to have a mouth open with rows of teeth eating a pirate!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I agree, a large beach ball would be the way to go but a better base may be a yoga ball. This is the time of year to find them super cheap at yard sales. I got 3 for $5 the other week.

I would add that this of course depends on which Kraken your going to try. "Pirates Of The Caribbean" squid type the ball would work. "Clash of the Titans" 1981 or 2010 , you may have to go a different rout.

Good luck, Marc V.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a really good idea, but I need to build on a larger scale. Have you ever made one?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Sounds like a really good idea, but I need to build on a larger scale. Have you ever made one?
Never did a kraken or squid before but years ago I did two balls using the yoga ball method to make an old timey looking set of barbells. The spherical kind you would see a circus strong man lifting with 1000 lbs. stenciled on each ball. Best advice if you go that big is to multi layer. Not just 5 or 6 layers of paper marche, more like 15 or 20. The thing is the larger you get in size, the more the mass, the more it weighs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right about the increase of size will increase the weight when using paper mâché. This afternoon my son suggested getting a child's size dome tent, use chicken wire to shape the face and attach over the tent. Then, paint and shape a sheet over it. This way it will be easier to managed, so he says. Well, I will muddle that idea as well. Thanks for your time and input! What theme did you use the weight bars?

·
Registered
411 Posts
DeppMaster;1622991What theme did you use the weight bars?[/QUOTE said:
It was a "Carn-Evil" photo op. Kids (and adults ) would come and lift it up while parents (and spouses) would take a picture of them "struggling" to lift it. It was a pretty big hit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts