Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're working on a lifesize Pumpkinhead figure, and I would really like to animate his tail so it whips around. I expect the tail to be 8-10 feet long, about 6" in diameter at one end and two or so at the other. I was hoping for a random motion rather than a predictable motion. Think of a ticked-off cat. :)

My son suggested using air and making it whip like one of those wavy-arms things you see at car dealerships, but I think that might look a bit cheezy.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
My son suggested using air and making it whip like one of those wavy-arms things you see at car dealerships, but I think that might look a bit cheezy.

Any ideas?
That's actually not a bad idea. Something that big, you're gonna wanna keep it light.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This might be a good option. I agree with the poster above, weight is going to be a prime consideration.

https://youtu.be/Z6Tx6mQzr1o

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk
That's a cool concept. I was thinking ping pong balls might work better than ornaments.

Our plan right now is we have a huge stump in our front yard that used to be a big Oak tree before a tornado took it out this spring. We were going to put Pumpkinhead on top of the stump, and anchor the base to it. Plan A had been to make a fixed tail that would serve as a third leg of a sort to keep the figure standing correctly, but if we're going to hard mount it to the stump we can have the tail wagging and weight isn't as much of an issue.

If we go with this system in the video, I was thinking mounting a microwave turntable motor would give us the torque to turn the disk the tail is mounted to.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, here's what I'm thinking.... make the articulated center of the tail using the cups and balls technique seen in the video. One change will be to trim the rims off the cups so it's a smoother assembly. Then I'm going to coat the assembly with Dragon Skin Silicone, which is similar to the Silicone used in making masks. This should allow the tail to wag and move since that stuff is very flexible.

Now I have to dope out how to pull the stings to make it wag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts