Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants to build a static snake for our son's 8th birthday...she wants the kids to be able to stand inside a coiled snake and take a picture...

The desired effect is that the snake is coiled around the kids feet, then the snake's "neck" extends to their head, where the snakes head will look like it's about to bite them...

I was thinking a chicken wire frame, covered with paper mache...I am just concerned the chicken wire will not give it enough structural integrity...

Thoughts, ideas, plans?

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
You might be able to cobble something together using those tubular foam swimming aids they sell this time of year. And a Building Supply store could fix you up with some heavy gauge copper wire, maybe Range Cable, that will support the foam. It can be bent in any shape that way.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
How are the children going to get in and out of the coiled snake? How soft or solid does it need to be to allow the kids to get into position for pics?

Wolfman has a good idea with the foam pool wands and such. I've seen thicker ones (4-5" diameter) at some places around town. That might be a good thickness. And since they're hollow in the middle, you can run the copper piping, or something else.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How are the children going to get in and out of the coiled snake? How soft or solid does it need to be to allow the kids to get into position for pics?

Wolfman has a good idea with the foam pool wands and such. I've seen thicker ones (4-5" diameter) at some places around town. That might be a good thickness. And since they're hollow in the middle, you can run the copper piping, or something else.
I was thinking of having the snake coiled on the floor to about 1.5 to 2 feet tall, with a small ramp or step in the back...the kids could step up and into the snake...in the front off to the side the snake would rise vertically with it's head poised to take a bite...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Will need to be fiberglass laid up over a form I would think for structure if kids will be climbing on it.

I was thinking of having the snake coiled on the floor to about 1.5 to 2 feet tall, with a small ramp or step in the back...the kids could step up and into the snake...in the front off to the side the snake would rise vertically with it's head poised to take a bite...

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think you could go with your initial idea of chicken wire and then possibly paper mache or good ol' monster mud. The trick to the structural integrity would all be in the armature that you put the wire form onto. This article is not exactly what your looking for but it may give you some ideas about the armature.
We’re Building a Monster For Halloween! Halloween Alliance
I think the idea for the photo prop is great! Good luck.

·
Registered
576 Posts
At HD they have black hard plastic sewer tubing, about 5" wide. Looks like it's ribbed for our pleasure. Anyway, it comes in 10'ish foot lengths, and can coil to about a 4' diameter. Look for it in the PVC aisle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I made a snake a couple of years ago. I used foam from an old egg crate mattress pad. I rolled it into about a 3 inch diameter snake. Then I taped it and did a fast, not very good, paint job. For the head I carved it out of foam and glued it to the body. I made it in about an hour, painting included. It was 5:00 Halloween night. I'm notorious for coming up with a prop idea at the last minute and making it.

·
The Black Unicorn
1,348 Posts
I made a couple last year for my party. I used 2 pool noodles , made the heads out of 3 inch sheet foam cut in shape of snake head, put heavy wire inside noodles so you can bend into shape you want, used fake push in eyes from craft store, cover entire length with panty hose and apply contact adhesive, let dry and spray paint desired color. Contact glue makes it feel like skin. they were really cool.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts