Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be our first Halloween party!!! I've been "dying" to have one for years and we finally have the space to do it.
I have a 3 year old and will have kids of all ages attending. Can anyone advise on successes or failures throwing parties with small kids?
I think I have the food and decor under control, but wondering about activities, etc...
It won't be on Halloween, that night will be reserved for TOTing.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
A full bowl of candy and lighthearted Halloween movies always kept me entertained when I was younger and stuck at an adult's party. Any normal Halloween games/activities without gore are more or less kid friendly.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
What I've learned with little ones is not to plan too much. A party is an exciting and distracting affair for a toodler. For younger kids, fun foods and movies are great. You can try setting up a craft or two, but usually the younger kids will get distracted and want to do "the next thing".

Movies or Halloween-oriented cartoons are a good idea. We have a few Halloween collections that are always a hit. Disney, Peanuts, Elmo, and Nightmare Before Christmas. They're all winners.

If you're looking for activities, something that's always a hit at our fall parties is making popcorm balls and/or making cider. These are both really simple treats to make, and you don't have to be precice. (my 5 year old looks forward to making popcorn balls every year).

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
In fact, I would recommend you purchase the "Taste of Home - Halloween Food & Fun" magazine/booklet when it comes out in each fall. These little booklet/magazines are great! They have all sorts of fun ideas for all age groups. I've been buying them for the past few seasons.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
If it is true that you live in Siberia Minnesota and you are having a Halloween party in October I am going to suggest lots of warm clothing and heaters. But, no seriously it is hard to beat pin the tail on the scarecrow and bobbing for rotten apples(apples with a whole bored out and gummy worm crammed in there so it is hanging out). :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
One time we had a cupcake decorating station, I had lots of iced cupcakes and many bowls filled with different toppings they could choose from and create their own. And another the kids wore their costumes in a parade where we played scary music, stopped in front of a couple of "judges" and had a costume contest. Other hits: I carved a large pumpkin but left alot of the pulp inside and had lots of small gifts/candy/toys that each child reached in and pulled out among lots of screams; and instead of bobbing apples in water i hung them from tree limbs with yarn and they would try and catch them with their teeth. Just some past activities that worked with young ones (even the teens wanted in on some.)

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
If you are going to have an adults and children party, I suggest hiring a couple of babysitters and segregating the kids from the adults in their own space with their own activities, games, movies, food, etc. We did this one year at a party we ran at the local Armory for the Ntl Guard families and it worked great. That way the parents got to have fun, too. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great ideas!
I would love to do a food station and get them to make a simple halloween snack.
I just realised I could make my basement into a 'haunted house'-then the kids can go wild down there as I remember doing at halloween parties when I was a kid.

·
crossfit zombie
7,452 Posts
We do a hayride buy lots of pumpkins from a pumpkin farm for the adults and the kids to carve and do a pinate.My teenage guest have 2 rooms set up with video games.Hayride starts around 4 we arrive back to eat around 6 carve pumpkins around 7 then do the pinate after 9 it is the adult party and of course their children.Kids without parents are picked up at 9.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
I have an all ages halloween party every year and have been doing so for 22 years now. A couple things that work very well for me for the tots. I have small pumpkin containers that are filled with M&M candies and each one contains a different halloween ring and a piece of paper with the ring description on it (a bat would say bat, a skull...skull and so on). As long as you can tell the rings apart it doesnt matter. Every tot gets a container and are told to hold onto thier ring for a prize.We have small gifts we give out when we draw the papers identifying what ring is the winner.All the kids love the game. We also play a game called NUMBSKULL (like hot potato) wich we have a kid and adult game. Everyone really likes this game alot and have alot of fun.We play 3 rounds with the winner of each round setting out for the next round.(so after 3 rounds you will be left with the 3 round champions who then play off for the title of NUMBSKULL. The winner then gets a prize and has thier picture taken with the skull over thier head. The pictures then goes into a halloween party album that is out every year for people to see who the winners of the past are and who is the current champion.We also have photo books for best costume, and best pumpkin. People really enjoy trying to get thier picture in the book and it really instills people to put in some effort and have fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts