Halloween Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been wanting to make a gibbet this year that will hang from a rafter of my house near the front entrance. The problem is coming up with the right materials to begin this project. In my quest to get ideas, I see that some people use pvc and lathes. I would like some help coming up with other materials that are light-weight, but flexible enough to make it resemble a bird cage, just longer. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
85 Posts
A gibbet is the pole type setup for a hanging man gallow . Its the upright pole and arm that reaches out to hang the person from .
If you watched the movie the BLACK PEARL , they used a form of a gibbet to leave the pirates in to rot and let the birds eat . A gibbet does not necessarily mean there is a cage attached , it could be as simple as hanging a person by means of chains or encapsulated in a form of a cage , also hung up by some means ..
To let them hang there , not necessarily dead yet either .
Its basically , a form of displayng a person who did some no-no's and they are place up for display , to warn others that that kind of behavior will not be tolerated .

Also , a lath board setup will probably be your litest weight choice

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks BoogieMan for the explanation. I am hoping someone has an idea of how to build one without using heavy materials.

Brad had a good suggestion, but I don't know where I could find thin plastic sheets. Has anyone got any suggestions? The plastic would have to be very flexible.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
What's going IN the prop, and how large are you making it?

If it's a bucky skeleton, they weigh 23-24 pounds, so you'll want some solid materials.
If it's a blucky or other lightweight body, you can get by using lighter.

Something you may want to try, and admittedly, it's a bit unusual, is fiberglass resin and cotton cloth over some decent gauge wire.
Old flannel sheets may work even better. The material will pil up and make a lot of bumps.
(remember to use rubber gloves of some kind when doing this)
Here's how: cut strips about 3"-4" wide, as long as you need - take a length of wire, bend it to the shape you need (circles, or whatever) set the wire on the strip of cloth, and fold the cloth over the wire, leaving it in the center. Take your fiberglass resin, and liberally coat the cloth - work it in with your gloved fingers, and let dry.

These will actually harden up to a pretty good strength on their own - and will have a rough texture that's ready to paint up to an old, rusted, weathered finish.
I've made the ribs of my "flying ghost" using this method, and they're actually quite strong (and only a half inch or so in width).

·
Registered
522 Posts
I made this jail cell out of strips of black plastic, very similar to the gibbet construction from eccentric gryphons:

Halloween 2008 :: IMG_0160.jpg picture by bradbaum - Photobucket

The strips of plastic where commercial baseboard molding I found in a dumpster behind a Linen & Things that was closing.

they where about 4 inches wide to start with, I cut them down in width with my table saw to make them look like old fashioned jail bars. I just used carriage bolts (a lot of carriage bolts) to put them together.

I think with a heat gun you could form them into a cage.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Bradbaum, that looks fantastic! Love the detail and the rust - what a great build. So all I need to do is dumster-dive behind a Linens-and-Things. :)

Ripping the molding on your tablesaw, did that muck up your blade at all? I haven't tried cutting plastic like that before.

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I made this jail cell out of strips of black plastic, very similar to the gibbet construction from eccentric gryphons:

Halloween 2008 :: IMG_0160.jpg picture by bradbaum - Photobucket

The strips of plastic where commercial baseboard molding I found in a dumpster behind a Linen & Things that was closing.

they where about 4 inches wide to start with, I cut them down in width with my table saw to make them look like old fashioned jail bars. I just used carriage bolts (a lot of carriage bolts) to put them together.

I think with a heat gun you could form them into a cage.
Thats about what I am looking for to make the cage. Did you say you found the plastic in a dumpster. There are no dumpsters around me that I would want to dig through. :)

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
199 Posts
You should be able to find plastic strips in the molding department of home depot. I think you will find the thickness and width to be just what your looking for. To save some money try a plastic supplier they also supply flat bars of plastic, various sizes and thickness. To bend the plastic make a wooden mold to the shape of one bar and carefully ad heat from a heat gun to form bars all the same. If weight is a concern, hang the skeleton in the cage from the same hook that is supporting the cage.

Good luck

·
Technological Terror
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should be able to find plastic strips in the molding department of home depot. I think you will find the thickness and width to be just what your looking for. To save some money try a plastic supplier they also supply flat bars of plastic, various sizes and thickness. To bend the plastic make a wooden mold to the shape of one bar and carefully ad heat from a heat gun to form bars all the same. If weight is a concern, hang the skeleton in the cage from the same hook that is supporting the cage.

Good luck
Thanks MM for the tip on Home Depot. I went by there and found exactly what I needed. You can check out my cage and the build at the thread below.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/78645-25-gibbet-cage-build.html

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for the post, and recognition I think I learned from you as well. what a great outcome and the paint job looks great.

·
Typing Away
3,560 Posts
I hate to say this but I saw a site this week on a how to on pvc strips on making one very cheap and light weight the problem is I can not remember where or cannot find it. If I do find it I will post it here for you.
sorry

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.