Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are hosting an adult only party this year for Halloween and it will be a 1980s themed party. We normally dress up mannequins with some scary icons, and for this year in the spirit of the 1980s they will be in the form of Pinhead, Michael Myers, and Pennywise. We also are getting some cardboard cutouts of Freddy Krueger, Jason, and probably Hannibal Lecter.

What I am looking for is some things that we could have at the party in terms of 80s novelty items, decorations, props, or even foods that would complete the theme. Any input is appreciated!

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
I'm just gonna close my eyes...and go back to high school....

movies - Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Top Gun, Weird Science

Music - Duran Duran, Culture Club, Thompson Twins, Prince

Leg warmers, ripped tshirts, Member's Only jackets, bomber jackets, Converse hightops, ponytails on the side of your head, clothes in neon colors, big hair, rock star/movie star posters out of Tiger Beat magazine, boom boxes, popped collars, Izod, Levi 501 button ups, rolled pant legs, ok...I'm out of ideas....for now!

:) This probably didn't help ya much, but I'll keep thinking...

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
Ronald Reagan and George Bush Sr cutouts or mannequis would be a must, perhaps with a Voodoo economics prop or maybe holding a mini disco ball with a dollar tree LED spotlight shinning on it (thousand points of light.) :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Large sign that says in all caps, "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX". Posters with large color swags, circles, squares, think the tv show "In Living Color".

Break dancing, mullets, Trans Am, old school rap, Scorpions, because I wear my sunglasses at night. Anything Star Wars.

Pop rocks, Tab soda, Mello Yello, tv dinners, candy cigarettes, Chocola, YooHoo, fundue, gourmet pizza, potatoe skins, candy necklaces, blow pops, pixie stix.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Neon colors are must. Also, slasher films were popular in the 80's, plenty of well known killers and some only horror freaks know (the original Prom Night). One other thing, +1 on whoever said the Ronald Reagan/George H.W. Bush idea. We all know politicians are the REAL ghouls and goblins.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did an 80's themed party last year and glow necklaces were a huge hit. Also gave out massive flourescent sunglasses (from the party store) and we did a moonwalk contest. For invitations, I found images of Garbage Pail kids cards (Halloween themed ones like Boney Joanie) and printed them on card stock as if they were the cards themselves - and had our party info on the back side in a bubble type font. It was a great time- too many funny costumes!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rubiks cubes and glow sticks and candy necklaces are definetly a must. You could play 80's horror movies like evil dead, friday the 13th, etc (even weird science). I would also definelty stick with the 80's music. That decade did give us lots of halloween songs like thriller and ghostbusters.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm just gonna close my eyes...and go back to high school....

movies - Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Top Gun, Weird Science

Music - Duran Duran, Culture Club, Thompson Twins, Prince

Leg warmers, ripped tshirts, Member's Only jackets, bomber jackets, Converse hightops, ponytails on the side of your head, clothes in neon colors, big hair, rock star/movie star posters out of Tiger Beat magazine, boom boxes, popped collars, Izod, Levi 501 button ups, rolled pant legs, ok...I'm out of ideas....for now!

:) This probably didn't help ya much, but I'll keep thinking...
You forgot to mention the Madonna look, belts, leggings. bracelets :) Ah, the good ole days!

·
Registered
10 Posts
When we did our 80's party we took white garbage bags, "freeze frame" remember that video? we splashed neon paint on them and hung them up in the bathroom...same with matching shower curtain. we made a dance floor (black, white and neon checkered squares on m.d.f.). The music makes it though. We had a "we are the world" moment and my bro dressed as tom cruise in that movie he dances in his underwear (crap I can't remember it now) and did the dance. Rock on!!

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
Oooh, and if you've still got em get out your Dungeons and Dragons Monster Manuals and Dungeon Master's Guide for the coffee table...good times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love the 80s prom dress/miami vice look...cheap and plentiful at the dollar store. Didn't Carrie come out in the 80s? You could all do the Thriller dance. And lots of neon. I'm thinking about doing the dot room in my bathroom. I think that would go well w/ your theme.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Definitely big HAIR, spandex and glam rock ! Think Poison. Miami Vice. Oh Rikki your so fine ...it was a weird bright vibrant carefree era... I love above the idea of the florescent room and all the bright colors ...an award for who shines the brightest ? Break dancing ....original FAME ... the ending sounds of Disco ~ You dropped the bomb on me ~ and besides big hair ...everyones hair was feathered ...even guys (remember the hardy boyz.)
I looked back at some of my HS pics and pants with cuffs rolled up til they fell off seemed to be the style ...James Jeans, San Fransiscos, Icecream jumpsuits and rocky mountains...and wedge shoes (which are back/still in style?) Heres an embarrassing pic of my 10th grade,
cut out pic of braces and all ...Definitley IZOD and Members only jackets for guys...Hang Ten, Vans. LOL Nylon shorts that showed more than s/b LOL ....oh I think I even had a terry cloth pink silk lined short and jacket outfit that I loved to wear when I rollar skated. Now thats embarrassing. LOL
As far as what I remembered for food ~ they had to put a ban on Big Gulps at school as that was all the rage to bring back the biggest Big Gulp...Kegger partys were happening (tho we werent of age to really be there) Pac Man and Centipied were the arcade games... and sharing a large pizza pan of fried potatoes was the after school munchies (or 7 Eleven) Hope that helps any ~ it was fun for me ...stroll down memory lane LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts