Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A big part of my whole Alice IN Wonderland theme haunt is based on following a black and white checkered floor path ... originally I was thinking how easy and inexpensive to just buy party racing plastic tablecloths and cut and tape to the floor but ~ alas ..only the sides of those things are checkered.

Ive searched the internet and ideally a checkered tablecloth roll would be good but the only one I found was about 50.00 ....so any ideas for making a black and white checkered floor (path) that isn't permanent and can be walked on?

I found this on a member site and inquired but no response.

So hoping great minds out there can advise ?

PS I was thinking a black plastic roll and paint white checks on it..but how do you make the white checks semi longterm (meaning ok to walk on) ect?

Typical Ghoul Next Door
This might be a little time-intensive, but if you could get carpet remnants - especially ones already black or white, you could cut them to squares, then use paint and carpet tape to make a carpet checkerboard. :eek:

Registered
What about getting some of the clear carpet runners or even just some clear plastic from Lowes or Home Depot and tapeing of the squares and painting them on. To make it last from being walked on just have the painted side facing down.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for above...I did find real tiles and almost went that way..thinking maybe I'd use them eventually for real..it was 40 sq ft for 40.00. But then thought that was too elaborate and I cant manipulate the path without ruining the tiles. I like the input above...and the weaving idea intrigues me. Has anyone done a sheet or canvas flooring with paint? Is that cheap..and where would I find a canvas matieral...maybe a paint shop? Still help LOL

Registered
Of course any art store would sell rolls of canvas...i would think it'd be expensive though to buy a roll to cover a hallway...unless its a short hallway. And with canvas I'd be afraid people would trip on it, no?

how much are linolium tiles? are those too expensive?

Registered
Painters drop cloths are heavy canvas and are cheaper than art canvas, it can be painted on and abused quite a bit too. I would think woven plastic would be slippery to walk on (liability).

Registered
Of course any art store would sell rolls of canvas...i would think it'd be expensive though to buy a roll to cover a hallway...unless its a short hallway. And with canvas I'd be afraid people would trip on it, no?

how much are linolium tiles? are those too expensive?

Paint stiffens canvas quite a bit, people make canvas rugs all the time. (Google canvas rugs, maybe they have a way of keeping the edges down firmly).

Peel and stick tiles are probably the cheapest bet and can be anywhere from .39 a foot to over 2.00 a foot, lino runs even more and has to be glued down; so the glue is an extra cost....Good luck!

Registered
I think the easiest/cheapest thing to do would be use poster board. it comes in black and white and you can cut it into any size you'd like/need for the squares. then, just use clear packing tape to tape them together/to the floor. This would be really inexpensive (you can even buy it at the dollar store) and it's recycleable!

Registered
My first thought too is self stick vinyl tiles.
The photo that you posted looks like the path is fabric. If you used canvas, or a heavy white fabric, you could make the black squares out of almost anything. You could paint them, spraypaint even.
What color if the floor that you're starting out with? Maybe you only have to add one color of squares to it? You could use something like shelf liner paper, it's sticky on one side.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks ~ lots of good ideas ~ Its indoors so dont have to worry about slickness. Im gonna try the black plastic roll with painting white squares....and also the poster board taped together...maybe that up the wall since it might not be good to walk on ...Definitly the best I think for the spiral design in the black light forest area. Thanks all... will have pics this week on what I decided.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Checkered floor mat

Thanks ~ lots of good ideas ~ Its indoors so dont have to worry about slickness. Im gonna try the black plastic roll with painting white squares....and also the poster board taped together...maybe that up the wall since it might not be good to walk on ...Definitly the best I think for the spiral design in the black light forest area. Thanks all... will have pics this week on what I decided.
Here's the tunnel floor mat ~
Making it ...

Final .....

Since this will be under a strobe and black light ~ I think it'll do the trick. We'll see on final set up. Cross fingers :)

Registered
Looks realgood!!! Wish I would've thought of it for mine! Can't wait to see your take on the Alice theme when it's all put together!

Registered
Home Depot Contact Paper. They sell B/W checker pattern for shelving. I use contact paper all the time (mainly wood grain) and yes it will adhere to pavement very well. As long as it isn鈥檛 stuck down for days on end, it will come right up; just pull it up even.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts