Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Previous issues resolved so I edited this thread as opposed to starting a new one.

Ok so it's been a few years since I've messed with wiper motors and I've either forgotten everything and/or having a total brain fart here so forgive the stupid questions. I have a GM wiper motor that I'm trying to get to run off of an atx power supply, but I can only get the motor to run off of the 12v+ circuits. Ideally I'd prefer to use the 5v or even the 3.3v for better speed control. I've heard plenty of other people using the alternate voltage circuits to control wiper motors, but I can't seem to get mine to play nice.

Also fwiw I'm planning on using this for an axworthy ghost, so no need for park functionality or anything fancy. I just need it to turn.

Has anyone run into this?

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
Wit' a name o' CaptainJackSparrow, i shall give ya a 'int, it naught be kitties, savvy?
2,048 Posts
I ran an axworth ghost off one a few yrs ago, off a 6v/5amp wallwart, seemed to be fine, just fed the 6vdc into the 12 terminals (same wiring plug) ..
still ran around a lil faster than I would have liked, but it was fine, really. feeding it with 5vdc from the atx should be easy ..

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm 99% sure these motors won't function on AC voltage. What I think you're probably referring to is pulse-width-modulation (PWM) motor control so that it applies the 12VDC, but it's only energized a fraction of the time. The larger fraction of the time it's energized the faster it moves. Something like this one:

·
Captain o'th Black Pearl
Wit' a name o' CaptainJackSparrow, i shall give ya a 'int, it naught be kitties, savvy?
2,048 Posts
Never said I ran them on AC. I wrote, "6vdc".

"I ran an axworth ghost off one a few yrs ago, off a 6v/5amp wallwart,"

ac to dc wallwart.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was referring to the OP's comment about "alternate voltage circuits" but realize they just meant non-standard voltage and not AC. :p I still think using a PWM motor controller is the way to go rather than trying to run it under voltage.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm 99% sure these motors won't function on AC voltage. What I think you're probably referring to is pulse-width-modulation (PWM) motor control so that it applies the 12VDC, but it's only energized a fraction of the time. The larger fraction of the time it's energized the faster it moves. Something like this one:
I got one of these on Sunday and it works as well as the Monster Guts ones I have. I'd still rather support MG but sometimes 2 day shipping is a neccesity, sadly.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,472 Posts
What are the amp ratings on the lower voltages of the power supply? They may be too low to run the motor . I would just get a speed controller and run it off of the 12vdc side of the power supply. You might try to connect the 12vdc to the low speed pin on the motor but that may be too fast .

Reactions: MCR

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I didn't mean to infer "alternating current" when I said "alternate voltage circuits". I meant the "other" voltage circuits in a typical atx power supply (5vdc/3.3vdc). Ironically, the current rating on most of the power supplies I have is just as high or higher on these circuits than the 12v circuit(s). Also, the power supply doesn't crash when trying to drive the motors so it's not overloading, but just not enough juice to get the motor moving. I also tried another GM motor I had with identical results. Maybe the motors I have have internal voltage regulators? Idk but I've given up on it and just sticking to the 12v for now

I did find it funny that MCR posted that particular motor controller from Amazon as I just ordered that exact one last night 😄 Although I think for next year (when I have more time), I'm planning on doing my own custom pwm control with an arduino. I'd really like to figure out how to slow the speed as the ghost approaches the turnaround points so it's not so violent. I've always kinda felt the violent changes in direction detracts from the illusion. If anyone has any input on how this could be accomplished I'm all ears

1 - 8 of 8 Posts