Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,My first static prop that i want to do is a toxic barrel,BUT where can i get a barrel thats 3-4ft tall?I also i want to put a green liquid inside of it so what should i use for the liquid?Something for a good deal of course :)

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Hello,My first static prop that i want to do is a toxic barrel,BUT where can i get a barrel thats 3-4ft tall?I also i want to put a green liquid inside of it so what should i use for the liquid?Something for a good deal of course :)
I picked up a 55 Gallon barrel for $10 at a swap meet a week ago. Look for barrels in the yellow pages and give them a call. There's a place here that sells the metal cans for $15 and the blue plastic ones for $18...just tell them you want a used barrel.

as for the liquid...food dye or koolaid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For the barrel's contents, I would avoid using an actual green liquid. 55 gallons (or whatever size your barrel is) is a lot, and liquids often prove to be a mess! I think that a better toxic effect could be created with a green floodlight on a color organ, with some bubbling sound effects.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok your right itcan be a huge mess and where would i put the liquid when its all over?i will use glow in the dark paint,thank you for telling me or id have to clean a mess

·
Registered
576 Posts
My HD in San Diego does not carry those barrels. Only trash cans. Check craigslist for available barrels. I found 3 at a marine supply company. Be sure to get a barrel that is either already open or has a removable lid. The sealed barrels are VERY sealed.

I'm doing toxic zombie catastrophe so I'll be toxifying my barrels soon with great stuff, neon green paint, green lights, and a cool sound track from poisonprops.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Put some dummy weight in bottom for ballast, then put in a smaller bucket up towards the top. Fill only the inner bucket with X fluid.

If leaving up for a few days, note that kool-aid will draw ants (at least in warmer climates).

A really cool effect would be to have a false top section filled with just food color water, and the false bottom be made from clear/diffused plexiglass. You spot light it from underneath, and place it where TOT looks down into it...The water gets a good aquarium-like glow. Obviously leaks down to any AC lights below is a consideration...

Or skip 'filling' it, esp if TOTs are never in a position to look 'down' into it. Instead rig up a simple pump and hose, so that you recycle liquid from the barrel up to a nozzle above and then let the water run/drip back into the barrel. People see the liquid moving, and you also get the sound-effects....Again back-light the 'waterfall' form a safe distance. Dripping water makes a great refractive light effect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts