Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I am so grateful for this forum. :D This is my first year finding it and it has been a lifesaver! I am looking for a little help with some back stories for props I have in my Dead and Breakfast this year. I typically can write with the best of them, but I am having a hard time getting started. So my plan is to write a backstory in my check in book for all of my props that will be around the house that includes:

a witch dressed as an old maid
the butler
a bride and groom skeleton in the honeymoon suite
a skeleton set up at a desk writing a review/book/journal/you get the picture
the double trouble twins from Spirit this year (they came with one story that I may just modify to fit with my theme)
a skeleton in the "gentleman's club"
a lady in a well (outside)

Then I also have some other props that will be around that I don't know if I should come up with backstories on or not.....

This include:
a bell hop skeleton
the check in clerk (skeleton)
3 severed heads on spikes outside my "labyrinth"
12 ft inflatable grim reaper in the cemetery

Any help would be much appreciated! I will try and add some pictures so you can see what I am referring to!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Here's a story line involving the bride and groom (let's call them Frank and Louise) and the lady in the well (we'll call her Veronica)

Frank and Louise were engaged to be married. Frank was handsome, charming, and sophisticated, although he had no money or social standing. Louise was a bit frumpy and naive, but had been born into wealth and prominence. Louise was madly in love with Frank, but Frank's only interest was in Louise's money. Frank was truly a scoundrel, but he was so smooth that he had convinced everyone, including Louise's parents, that his feelings for Louise were true and his intentions were honorable.

In the meantime, Frank had been carrying on a clandestine affair with Veronica. She had no money, but she was beautiful, sensitive, and caring. Frank, being the cad he was, had convinced her, too, that his intentions toward her were honorable, and promised that they'd get married soon. But Franks only interest in Veronica was to satisfy his own sexual urges.

The day before Frank and Louise's wedding, Veronica discovered the wedding announcement in the local newspaper. She was devastated. The next morning, she decided she'd go to the wedding to confront Frank. When she arrived at the church, she was denied entry: it was invitation only. So she waited in her car until the reception was over, and followed the newly married couple to their honeymoon suite. She stormed into the room and slapped Frank's face. She began sobbing, and all she managed to say was "How could you?" before she left the room. She found her way to the back of the Bed and breakfast, and in the depths of her despair, threw herself down the well.

Frank explained away the incident to Louise. "I have no idea who she was. Obviously it must some random crazy woman.You're the only woman I've ever loved!" Reassuringly, he said "I propose a toast". He filled the two wine glasses and handed one to his bride. He raised his glass, and said "To my new bride and the wonderful life we shall share together". She lifted the glass to her lips and paused as he drank down his wine. She set her glass down on the table, and said coolly "You're a scoundrel. You've ruined everything. I was such a fool" He opened his mouth as if to say something, but the only sound he made was a guttural cough. "Veronica called me last night. We had a nice long talk. She told me everything. God, I was such a fool. Of course, there was now way I could have called off the wedding at that point. The scandal would be absolutely unbearable. You've taken everything from me". Frank is now trembling uncontrollably, leaning to his right. A stream of drool drips from the right side of his mouth. Louise continued, "You've ruined me. Can you still hear me, Frank?". Frank slumped over on the table and started to convulse, a mixture of foam and blood spewing from his mouth. "There was only one thing I could do, only one way out. That wine you poured for your toast? I poisoned it. There was no way I could face the shame of what you've done to me. But at least I get the satisfaction of watching you die first". She picked up her glass, lifted it up high, and mockingly said "To us..." before taking her last drink.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much Pumpkinhead625!!!!

This is exactly what I am looking for! And I love that it incorporates people from inside and outside. I think I am going to do the same thing with the twins and one of the heads outside since they ask "Have you seen our Mother's head, we seem to have misplaced it" Great backstory! Thank you so much! I'm also thinking now that the skeleton in the Gentlemen's club will be a traveling salesman of some sort with an unsavory past.... This is great! I'm so excited now. Thank you again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
George is a traveling salesman for NCR (National Cash Register). He has a wife, Alice, three beautiful children, and a rescue dog all at home. On the outside they are the picture-perfect family. But George has a secret. He cannot say no when it comes to playing cards.

No matter which city he is in, he finds the seedy bar that will satisfy his craving. Sometimes he wins big, but most days he loses his earnings. He checked in to the Shady Oaks Bed and Breakfast with allusions of grander- he had scored big with the local grocery chain purchasing his line of cash registers.

George decided to celebrate his good fortune in the Gentlemen’s Lounge. Unfortunately for George, a man named William also checked in the same day. Poor George’s luck ran out when it wasn’t just aces up William’s sleeve during his final game. He was later found a knife sticking out his back and his pockets empty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ally and Annie have always been inseparable. Since they were born, they had a connection that no one could explain. If they weren’t right next to each other, they would scream and cry until they were reunited.

They grew up playing in the labyrinth usually kicking around a ball as their father tended to the gardens. It wasn’t until their mother- the housekeeper at the B&B- mysteriously went missing that the girl’s innocence was in question. Their pale faces and sunken-in eyes never struck the guests as strange…. until now.

When the little girls were questioned about their mother’s disappearance, they couldn’t do anything but giggle and glance at the labyrinth wall. They were left in the care of their father, but guests claim that they’ve only seen the girls by themselves. Rumor has it, they will use you as their next game and their father’s gardens- along with the labyrinth- have never been the same. If you see them playing, beware and run far, far away.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Ally and Annie have always been inseparable. Since they were born, they had a connection that no one could explain. If they weren’t right next to each other, they would scream and cry until they were reunited.

They grew up playing in the labyrinth usually kicking around a ball as their father tended to the gardens. It wasn’t until their mother- the housekeeper at the B&B- mysteriously went missing that the girl’s innocence was in question. Their pale faces and sunken-in eyes never struck the guests as strange…. until now.

When the little girls were questioned about their mother’s disappearance, they couldn’t do anything but giggle and glance at the labyrinth wall. They were left in the care of their father, but guests claim that they’ve only seen the girls by themselves. Rumor has it, they will use you as their next game and their father’s gardens- along with the labyrinth- have never been the same. If you see them playing, beware and run far, far away.
This is a good premise, but I think you need to fill in some details.

First, why was the girls' innocence in question? Generally speaking, it would take some unusual circumstances or events to make adults question the innocence of children. Have the girls been seen killing or abusing small animals or pets? Or maybe physically attacking other children or adults without provocation? Or did strange unexplained things happen in the girls' presence? Give the adults a reason to to fear the twins.

Second, why would the twins want their mother "gone"? Did she do something to them? Perhaps she wanted to leave her husband, and had planned on taking one of the girls with her, or maybe take both girls, but the girls wanted to stay with their father. Or maybe both parents realized that the girls were evil, and the only way to control them was to separate them, but the girls had other plans. Maybe the twins had a dark secret that only their father knew, and when their mother learned of it, she had to be eliminated. Give the twins motivation to be evil.

I hope this doesn't come across as being critical, I just wanted to give you a different perspective. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This definitely helps! I used what came with them and was planning on expanding on it. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Maybe the twins are a product of desperation. Their mother and father really wanted to have children, but try as they might they could not conceive that is until the desperate father sought out the help from the local witch, unbeknownst to his wife. The witch cast a conception spell and 9 months later the twins were born. The mother and father were both elated, that is until the mother started noticing there was something different about them. As they got older she would often find them in the labyrinth chanting what sounded like spells. One time she caught them sacrificing a small animal. She heard rumors from other B&B employees and local town folk about the strange actions of her daughters. The mother began to worry about the girls and they over heard her making a suggestion to their father about sending them to a convent or an asylum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts