Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted about this earlier, but now have a clearer idea of what I'm looking for.

This will most likely be the last year (at least for a while) I'll give out Big Treats and do a big haunt. Next year will probably find both the decorating and the treats scaled back. Living in a very rural area, my haunt draws about 200 TOTs instead of the 'normal' 30 or so that would ring the doorbell without the enticement of a big toy give-away.

2005 Loot! - a set on Flickr

I don't want next year's TOTs to be disappointed, especially since some of them make a special trip from miles away. So I think the best thing is to attach a little parchment scroll message to each treat stating it there will be no toy give-away next year. I will also TELL parents of TOT's whenever I have a chance. Should I tell the children?

Ugly Joe had some great suggestions on my earlier post, but it is time to tweak the details. I need help wording a clever 'There ain't gonna be no toys next year' message.

Here's what I have so far... but I am definitely not married to a poem form and would be grateful for any help.

Ugly Joe’s Wonderful Suggestion:

The Spirits have found Their Peace...no longer will they roam our world.

We thank you for keeping the Halloween spirit with us through the years, as this will be the last year (insert name of your haunt - if it doesn't have one yet, now's a great time to make one that will be a legend in your town) will be run.

We have enjoyed the laughter and screams of all our guests for the time we've been able to host this haunt, but we must let the dead move on...we will remember them as fondly as you.

Keep the spirit alive!

My feeble effort:

The Spirits that dwelt here have found their rest.
Tis time to thank you, our honored guests.
We’ve shared in your laughter, frights, and screams.
But the time has come to depart to dreams..

Hold close Halloween’s spirit through a child’s eyes
And take from here the day’s last prize…

???

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
Damn thats sad, sounds like a eulogy and makes me want to shed a tear. I dont even want to think about when my haunting days have to come to an end.

·
Purely and Simply....EVIL
946 Posts
Wow! Where did all these things come from?
I think the poem is a great idea!! It does become an expense to hand out to those many kids-I applaud you for doing it for as long as you did!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL. It's all Big Lots' fault! Years ago, a store was remodeling and selling off toys at 90% off CLEARANCE. With less than 40 TOTs at that time, it was easy to give them all nice toys for under $40...with toys to SPARE for the following year.

Well, naturally word got out and the numbers grew with each year. This year I expect about 200. It's not even so much the money (although that is becoming a consideration) but the hassle of who-gets-what, what age, fairness of distribution, and sheer volume. With so many kids showing up for prizes, it is becoming more of an assembly line give-away than a spooky bit of fun.

Maybe someday, when the number of TOTs returns to a manageable sum...or I hit the lottery... I'll give big toys out again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I get about 300 trick or treaters each year, I have found Oriental trader a great place to get stuff, I got enough fangs, bloody eyeball gum and safety suckers for my 300 for about $36 bucks. I will still grab about $10 worth of stuff for babies but thats it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I DO love OTC... but somehow, after years of giving out 8' long plush snakes and Hot Wheels track sets, I doubt if the kids that make their parents drive them 8 miles to visit my haunt will be quite as satisfied with vampire fangs and safety suckers. :D I doubt if I'd get 200 TOTs without the big toys. That's why I feel I have to tell the TOTs before they make a special trip to my haunt. Some local churches even sent two hayrides last year. It would be a shame if they made plans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This will most likely be the last year (at least for a while) I'll give out Big Treats and do a big haunt.
Brand new here....

But this sounds sad, especially since you get regularly 200 tot's...

My suggestion is to on your little piece of paper, ask parents for a donation to continue the efforts... 1.00 from every parent is 200.00 for next year.

I'm not sure what kind of money you need, but if you ask to spread the cost to keep such an exciting and eventful thing going for the kids, people will step up and do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts