Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so you probably know by past posts that I do a large family party every year. Each year I have a new theme, but it always has included a haunted trail. This year, we're going to Disney for Halloween so my funds are depleted. I still MUST do a party, though. I thought I would scale it down and do a dinner party with no haunted trail. My thoughts were a raven / Poe theme. I should have enough decor to pull it off without having to buy too much. So now I'm trying to figure out how to entertain everyone. Here's what I have come up with so far:

What I' don't want to do:
pumpkin carving
feeling the brains intestines etc in a box
tempt your fate
winking game

What I have decided I will do:
hanging apples from a tree branch and try to bite them
Label each guest with a Halloween character and they have to ask questions to find out who they are
Costume contest

I think I want to do a scavenger hunt. I need help with writing clues because I'm no good at that. Can you give me some clues and maybe some other game ideas? I even thought of maybe one of those murder mystery games, but I don't know how that works. I also don't know if it will work because everybody is so spread out (3 acres of land) watching their kids have fun. I'm looking for something that can be pulled off without needing everyone in one place for too long at a time.
HELP!!!!! All ideas are welcome and thank you in advance.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I think I might do the tempt your fate since I found a good thread with fates benign enough for preteens and adults.
Anybody have any scavenger hunt clues that rhyme? I'm really no good at that kind of stuff.

·
The Ghost Host
597 Posts
If it were me I would make the clues relate to famous Poe tales. But it would depend on your decorations and things you'll have around that you'll be hiding the clues in.

"The Tell-Tale heart is never untrue, listen closely and you'll find your clue." --maybe put the clue around a heart prop with some sound effects??

"Perched upon a Pallas bust, you'll find a tip but don't mind the dust." --You could do this if you have a statue of some sorts or just take out Pallas and put something else...

"You can't hide from death, ask Prospero. Your next stop is where the reaper goes." --a cemetery, maybe? Or around some sort of tombstone.

OKAY I think that taps me out for this evening lol

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so now that I'm thinking hard on my scavenger hunt, what kind of prizes can I do? These are tween kids and those Oriental Trading favors are just too cheesy for them now. I don't want to do trophies because they never seemed very enthusiastic about them in past costume contests, no matter how creative they are. I will do some candy, but need some special and creative ideas. I looked through past posts and found a couple things, but not anything that speaks to me. HELP!!

I didn't want to start a whole new link for this, so I hope everyone sees this! Did I mention HELP?! Pictures for inspiration would be most amazing!!!!

I'm going to do this, too. This is another example of what I need prize ideas for. What would you fill these tubes with besides candy? I thought of slime, but these are tweens and I can envision slime being flung and I don't want that happening. Also, I want some kind of gag in some of the tubes.
Did I mention HELP??!!

eyeball punch game.jpg

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Scavenger hunt sounds fun!

What about glow sticks? or beads? or those little bracelets with beads woven into them, tattoos, nail polish.........ugh, tweens prizes are hard............

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm thrilled you can use it.

I have them set on cards and ready for print, if you would like the files, just message me your email ( too big to post) and I will send them to you.

I also have a christmas Scavenger hunt and a Pirate Adventure! Should you ever need it.

I'm currently working on a Lego Movie Emmet Adventure for my 7 yr old nephew. Too cute for words!

Wishing you the BEST party!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Depending on what you want to spend for prizes: $5 McDs/Starbucks cards, $10 Roblox/Minecraft/iTunes cards, scary novels/ghost story books (good used copies can work), or the extra large candy bars. My students like the cheesy gifts from Oriental Trading especially when they can use them together - there is still a gooey eyeball stuck above one of the desks.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Order the magic fish fortune tellers from Oriental Trading. I used to use them for high school students at various events and they love them. They are cheap, too.

My high school classes loved to earn prizes and rewards from me and they were all cheesy things from Oriental Trading and such places. They LOVED them.

The squeeze stress balls were always popular.

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,302 Posts
Is it a scavenger hunt or a treasure hunt your after? The scavenger hunts I done or see in the past were just a list of item one had to collect to win. But are the clues something new? I always thought that was a treasure hunt. Either way, a great entertainment choice!

This site had some item listed if you were interested!
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/halloween-scavenger-hunt-list.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts