Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off let me say that I do this haunted house in my neighborhood for about 700+ kids and I do it on my own Money wise so think Cheap or Free please! Last year we built a vortex tunnel( got Ideas from several sites online) It was great but the cheap drills we used keep over heating.(we barley mad it through the night) I need to replace the motor this year. I need to know what you guys think would work. I know nothing about using fancy electronics so it has to be simple. Thanks for the help! These pis are during set up so they are rough but I think you can get the idea of what I did. Our Haunted house is a type of maze system with plastic sheeting walls so they only see what I want them to see when it is dark. As they come out of the tunnel they open up into a alien autopsy room. It was raining so the drill is covered with a spare piece of plastic and the contaminated area sign for the entrance is sitting on the railing in the one pic.
IMG_2892.jpg IMG_2891.jpg IMG_0654.jpg IMG_0613.jpg IMG_0653.jpg I don't have a video of it working but I'll post one this year if I can get this figured out. You can imagine it was a big hit last year and I hope to get it going again!!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Go on CL and find a cheap Treadmill(usually 20$) and use that motor and controller,tons of torque and unlimited speed control.I use one on my Axworthy,perfect.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only video I have is when we are setting up and you don't get the full effect! I will get one this year and post! I think I might have found a motor! I got a industrial fan motor. Still figuring out how to attach and use it and I hope it is not to fast but we will see. Any ideas on how to slow it down if needed. It has two pulleys one small and one large attached. Can I use a dimmer switch and not damage the motor?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Can u tell me how you constructed the top with wheels for spinning
There are no wheels at the top. That is just circular plastic frames for the pipe extending between them and the hoops of the tunnel rest on that. The pipe is the part that rotates, in turn making the tunnel spin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok I am building a spinning tunnel for our haunted house which is in our county museum. The museum has been featured on some haunt program as it has been deemed haunted. Which brings out a crowd for the haunted house. Where might I pick up those plastic frames? And what size motor do you recommend ?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
karlag68

I think no one has answered your question because, unfortunately, not many people see this sub-forum.

What plastic frame are you talking about in the photos? Trentwood Terror, and most of those who have built tunnels, use what they can find or piece things together.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used electric conduit... I looks pvc but it has a flang on the end that holds it together. It is important to cut each piece even so the spin even. the top piece is a 2 in pvc pipe and I am using a fan motor from a comercial fan this year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We just had to change the pipe sine we did not have it sitting on any wheels it melted the pve. I added two casters for a bed to each end and a emt metal conduit pipe working good now! Ill post pics soon

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've been gathering component's for a while and decided this is the year for our Vortex Tunnel. I have about 75% of the stuff and now I'm waiting on dies for my roller bender so I can bend the Rings. Here are a few pictures of some completed ring supports and drive assy. DSC00063.JPG DSC00065.JPG DSC00064.JPG DSC00062.JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts