Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I picked up a monitor from Spirit today. It is one that was used for the Atmosfear FX display. Problem there is no input/output for sound, and there are only inputs for SD card and USB. I have the living Portraits MP4 file on USB thumb drive and it plays fine, but no sound. What can I use that will output to USB, and let me plug in external speakers? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more I think about it, I don't know if I will be able to get sound. I guess the monitor is actually acting like a video player, it is just rerading the file on the USB, and then playing it. If that is the case I don't know if I can input actual video from an external player, where I would be able to tap the sound from befroe it goes into the monitor. Does that make sense to anyone?

·
Registered
397 Posts
unfortunately some of these monitors don't have sound because they are commercial digital signage monitors with no input (or output) for video or sound.

The monitors are from china and can be ordered in various configuration ffrom SD Card and USB only to essentially giant android tablets with wifi and touch screens.

If you end up not using the monitor because of those limitations I would be more than happy to take it off your hands as I have plans for all the ones I can find.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will see if anyone has anyone has any suggestions, if not I may be contacting you.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
You should be able to use a PC to play the file, the video portion will be sent to the monitor and the audio will play on the PC. Just connect your amplifier to the audio jack on the PC.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try it, just not sure if the USB port on the monitor will pass through the video from an external source, as opposed to just reading the video directly from the USB port (thumb drive).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do I get the PC to output to the USB port? It is easy to output through the VGA port to a monitor or projector, but not sure how to output through USB port.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I've never used a USB monitor. I would assume the PC would recognize the device just like it does any other USB connection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have (I believe) the same monitor purchased yesterday. When I bought it, they made sure to tell me this was for video and picture playback using SD card or usb. More like a large digital photo frame.
It was supposed to come with a remote control. ..which was lost somewhere in the store. So I am unable to switch from usb to SD card....or access the menu for additional features.
I have tried to find the brand and model info so I can obtain a remote....but it seems to be a mystery. And you can't get through to customer service.
Do you happen to know the brand or info on the remote?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did get the remote with mine, and I am able to access all the setup screens. I loked all over this thing and I see no branding or info on the monitor or remote. You could try a cheap universal remote and see if you can get that to work.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
OK, if this thing is more like a large digital picture frame, that's not a monitor. A monitor is able to connect to a PC.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just FYI... these monitors are not traditional monitors as you would expect.

They are made for commercial digital signage to play looped, scheduled playlists off of a USB drive or SD card.

There are no other inputs or outputs on this monitor.

Power cord, USB port, SD port, on/off switch.

These monitors are available in different configurations which can include things like WIFI, x86, linux or android motherboards, touch screens, audio amplifiers, etc.

That said, it looks like the ones bought by Spirit only support USB and SD and possibly no sound.

That doesn't mean the connections arent there but you will definitely need to take the entire case apart and have a look at the board inside the case to see what expansion ports, if any, are available.

I got 2 today. One was unused in the box with the manual which does not mention a model number anywhere.

There are also no markings on the monitor itself.

I will be pulling mine apart because I plan on using these for a completely unrelated project and will likely be using only the display (LED/LCD) itself.

Neither of mine came with a remote but based on the manual it doesn't appear to be too specialized in terms of controls.

That said, it's possible that it is proprietary to the setup interface and operating system on the motherboard inside the monitor.

If someone has an extra remote for one of these or can figure out where ot get one.. or figures out the manufacturer, please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So it sounds like I'm still at square one with this. I did learn that I can transfer to a usb and use it for my original intent. But I would still like a remote. Without knowing what this actually is....it her than some sort of digital display monitor...I've no clue what to even look for.

I did find a universal digital frame remote super cheap. If it works I will post the link.

Can you provide a snap shot of your remote?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Pulled my monitor apart tonight. As I figured, there's a proprietary motherboard inside with a USB and SD port but nothing else.
THere are some other available pins on the board but I need my magnifying glass to see them.

Also inside are 2 small speakers, a sound amp and a powersupply (both on the same board)

The motherboard outputs direct to the monitor/lcd driver with what looks to be LDVS connector.

board number = 3Q-M113-V4-140312

If you can read chinese...
http://www.3qvideo.com/product_155.html

The LCD is a LG display panel.. I'll post the model number later

You 'might' be able to order a HDMI to LDVS converter to use the lcd panel as just a monitor but don't quote me yet.

more to come.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulled my monitor apart tonight. As I figured, there's a proprietary motherboard inside with a USB and SD port but nothing else.
THere are some other available pins on the board but I need my magnifying glass to see them.

Also inside are 2 small speakers, a sound amp and a powersupply (both on the same board)

The motherboard outputs direct to the monitor/lcd driver with what looks to be LDVS connector.

board number = 3Q-M113-V4-140312

If you can read chinese...
http://www.3qvideo.com/product_155.html

The LCD is a LG display panel.. I'll post the model number later

You 'might' be able to order a HDMI to LDVS converter to use the lcd panel as just a monitor but don't quote me yet.

more to come.
I pulled mine apart also, same board as the one you show. As you can see, the speakers are plugged into the board at the upper left side in your picture. I was hoping to find a jumper to turn them on but do not see one. However if you notice at the top edge around the middle right next to the jumper for the backlight voltage, it is marked "VOL SEL" and a space where a component would go. Perhaps there is an adjustable pot that goes there to adjust the volume. This would make sense as I could find no volume adjustment anywhere in the software. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts