Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience making lights chase? I've scene people build their own controllers for this, which in the end seems cheaper than going out and buying one. Plus why buy it when you can build it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
if you are ok with building electronic/electric stuff yourself it isn't that hard to build something like this using for example a 4017 IC and a few other parts but a lot of it also depends on what you want to drive with it (AC or DC and if DC there are a number of different ways of driving things such as triacs or relays)

if you are not and don't have the tools already it is probably cheaper and less frustrating to buy one. Chase controllers aren't that expensive

if you want to try and build just google diy chase controller, if you want to buy one go to ebay and type in chase controller

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I built one DECADES ago, using a simple counter circuit and some of the biggest relays I could find at the time. Worked pretty well, but the relays were so noisy, I'm sure they'd raise the dead (not necessarily a bad thing at Halloween, but... well... you know...). If I were to do it again, I'd go with solid state relays. They are readily available and make it a snap to control AC line voltage with digital circuits.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Rowedude, as everyone here knows I am not an expert on anything at all...expecially electronics. So when I decided I was going to need some chase lights for this Hallwoeen I took the easy way out. I went to Walmart last Christmas and just bought a set of chase lights. From all appearances they will work great for what I need and they have several different chase settings and best of all....they were cheap:D. Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Scary Papa
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing