Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a packing tape mermaid and I'm working on the face now. I read to cover the whole thing in latex but dont know what kind to use. Any ideas?

·
Registered
332 Posts
It depends if your trying to make a mask or prop. If your making a prop you can use a variety of different items to make the "skin" (mache, liquid latex, epoxy clay, etc...). If your making a mask then really on one product will work and that's a liquid latex used for making masks. Various companies sell liquid latex: Black Lagoon Supply (they just had a sell for free shipping, it may still be on) - https://www.blacklagoonsupply.com/workshop/mask-making-latex : Monster Liquid Latex by Kangaroo - Kangaroo's Monster Liquid Latex - 16oz Pint - Creates Monster / Zombie Skin and FX" - Categories - Kangaroo Manufacturing : Ben Nye, Spirit Halloween and a lot of other companies make it. Most of the products are similar in quality so just research the best price / shipping. I typically buy from Black Lagoon or Kangaroo.

Now on to you answer about how to apply it. There are a variety of methods to apply liquid latex depending on the texture / finish your trying to achieve. Do a search on YouTube for "liquid latex Halloween props" to get some ideas. You can use strips of cloth, paper towels, creepy cloth, cotton, or similar materials that are saturated in the latex to form layers of skin, tendons, etc. It's time consuming but apply in layers building-up to the desired thickness. You may have to let the material dry between layers. Once dry you can use any water based paint (latex, spray paint or acrylic) to apply the finish color.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I second everything Skeleton Crew said! I mostly have used Monster Liquid Latex (thanks for the other recommendations/sites)! I both paint mine on the whole skeleton and then dip the stretchy spider web in latex and stretch that over the skeleton when corpsing (letting dry between latex steps) per Terra's wonderful tutorial. Painting the latex on first and letting it dry helps give the web/latex something to cling to besides just my skeleton. I look forward to seeing the results of your packing tape mermaid! I have a mermaid skeleton I have been wanting to corpse up for awhile but have struggled with what to use on the bottom for the right scaly texture. Excited to see what you come up with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks to both of you!! I usually stick to premade props but seeing as I work in a craft store, feel I should start making them instead. So far I have the tail (no fin) and a torso. Since most of it is the hubby, he is insisting it is a mer-man. 😊

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
When you get to the stage where you're ready to paint your latex creation, please take the time to watch this video

It will give you the best advice on how to use latex and paint together to create what you use to paint your mermaid with a long lasting paint job. We used this method to paint an old weathered prop and it has stood out in the elements for all of October now for five years. That's not the kind of treatment you're supposed to give any kind of latex prop, but well... we do. :) I think at the end of this year, I will have to go back in and do some touching up, but it's holding up really well. Don't go to all the trouble of creating a great prop and not give it the paint job it deserves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you get to the stage where you're ready to paint your latex creation, please take the time to watch this video

It will give you the best advice on how to use latex and paint together to create what you use to paint your mermaid with a long lasting paint job. We used this method to paint an old weathered prop and it has stood out in the elements for all of October now for five years. That's not the kind of treatment you're supposed to give any kind of latex prop, but well... we do. :) I think at the end of this year, I will have to go back in and do some touching up, but it's holding up really well. Don't go to all the trouble of creating a great prop and not give it the paint job it deserves.
Thank you👻

1 - 7 of 7 Posts