Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Hurricane 1302 fogger and will build my fog chiller. I need to know what type of laser and dispersion device I need to shoot a green beam at low height to create the green swamp effect. Any ideas? Not trying to spend a ton here....I have seen people do this with a $70 laser but dont know how they keep the laser turned on and also disperse the beam into a flat line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on putting the fogger in a garden bed and I want it lit up green and have it roll down my yard towards the street. How many lights would you recommend? I have seen some mini lights on FrightProps.com

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was trying to do this with a laser as well. Tried the high power green shooting against a spinning mirror on a fan, but found out you need a first order mirror. That is a mirror that the silver (reflective surface) is on the top of the glass not under glass. Sourcing that is not that hard but not as cheap as I wished, so I put it on the back burner months ago and then got caught up with too many other projects.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I bought a Hurricane 1302 fogger and will build my fog chiller. I need to know what type of laser and dispersion device I need to shoot a green beam at low height to create the green swamp effect. Any ideas? Not trying to spend a ton here....I have seen people do this with a $70 laser but dont know how they keep the laser turned on and also disperse the beam into a flat line.
Are you trying for an effect like the one described here:

He links to a laser: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-532nm-50mW-Green-Laser-LINE-Module-with-power-adapt-and-bracket/332257218447?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, this is what I am trying to accomplish. Problem is that I do not have flat ground, instead it slopes down. I am going to build a fog chiller to keep the effect low-lying. I took J-Man's advice and bout a few green lamps. Hopefully these work out. I know they wont have the same effect but if it lights up green than I am ok with that.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
I just bought the last three of the 20W. Thanks for sending the link J-Man! Much appreciated.
I think you'll be happy with those, they're awesome lights. They also have memory so whatever color/brightness you set them for will come on when powered up.

·
black light queen
2,494 Posts
a cheap way to turn a laser dot into a line is with a small solid glass cylinder

I got a bunch of glass stirring rods from amazon => https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Stirring-Rods-200mm-Pk/dp/B005XYWGK0

i used a file to score a line around the glass rod and then snapped it off ... be careful though, this is glass & it is possible to stab or slice yourself with it if it doesn't snap on the scored line

i just used hot glue to stick the 1" or so, the length isn't critical, vertically to the front of your laser of choice ... no, this doesn't generate a line that has equal brightness along it's length ... it is brighter in the middle and then becomes less bright towards the end of the line ... but this is probably the easiest/cheapest way to get a line

i hacked => https://www.amazon.com/Lightahead-PK-RC06O-Controlled-Holographic-Voice-Activated/dp/B013Q9UY20/ref=pd_sim_60_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RQ0VNE2XGXJ15974MZ64 ... removed the red laser, the internal motor and the diffraction grating that is on the front hole ...

amk

·
black light queen
2,494 Posts
a cheap way to turn a laser dot into a line is with a small solid glass cylinder

I got a bunch of glass stirring rods from amazon => https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Stirring-Rods-200mm-Pk/dp/B005XYWGK0

i used a file to score a line around the glass rod and then snapped it off ... be careful though, this is glass & it is possible to stab or slice yourself with it if it doesn't snap on the scored line and it is sharp where the glass snapped, so i used a propane torch like plumbers use to melt the sharp end(s)

i just used hot glue to stick the 1" or so, the length isn't critical, vertically to the front of your laser of choice ... no, this doesn't generate a line that has equal brightness along it's length ... it is brighter in the middle and then becomes less bright towards the end of the line ... but this is probably the easiest/cheapest way to get a line and the tots will luv it

i hacked => https://www.amazon.com/Lightahead-PK-RC06O-Controlled-Holographic-Voice-Activated/dp/B013Q9UY20/ref=pd_sim_60_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RQ0VNE2XGXJ15974MZ64 ... removed the red laser, the internal motor and the diffraction grating that is on the front hole ...

amk

·
Registered
169 Posts
They added a room in the new Haunt Maze at Scarowinds near Charlotte NC this year and it is amazing. Looks like 4 of these same lasers on each wall of the room and chilled fog. It holds up well considering people are walking through it constantly. I'm not sure how they keep the fog from just being everywhere and hiding your view at eye level. I am going to ask them. Maybe it does get everywhere, but the laser just cuts through a slice and a little bit of fog is all you need. A cool not, anything below the lasers is invisible. So they implement a cool scare where something pops up out of the "swamp" that is very cool and creepy.

Just a note, shining a green flood light on the fog isn't even close to what this effect accomplishes. It really messes with your brain and you feel as if you are wading through or swimming in something. I was blown away and I am sort of immune to all this from overexposure. I gasped and yelled like someone just made an amazing catch in a football game. If you find a Haunt in your area that has this, you have to try it. A light will just illuminate your fog in a green color, this creates a variation of the vortex illusion, but in my opinion, even better.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Haddens, just following up. How did your effect turn out? I'm wanting to put together a small area of swam, but worried we have a lot of street light out there. May have to change plans, but wanted to know if you were happy with your result? Thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Laser Swamp

Haddens, just following up. How did your effect turn out? I'm wanting to put together a small area of swam, but worried we have a lot of street light out there. May have to change plans, but wanted to know if you were happy with your result? Thanks
I really was ecstatic about it. It turned out great. And I was surprised how many people commented on and and just stood and stared at it for a while before moving on. You could probably do that in anything, like a koi pond or camouflaged kiddie pool. I had a ditch. I live in a plot that has septic and no city water services. Therefore, there is a drainage ditch in front of all the houses. There is a culvert that runs under each driveway. The one on the left facing side of my house is only about 15' long between my driveway and my neighbors. So if you stand at the end of my drive and face to the left, you are looking down a trench that angles up at the sides. This is perfect as a depression to hold fog, even without a chiller.

The things I can recommend are:

1. Have a slope and things for the laser to illuminate. Because i have grass there, the laser creates a 6" wide (on average) outline of the swamp. It looks like sharp points of light where the swamp starts. Put things IN the swamp that are thin ans stickup up. I pulled more weeds from out back and dumped them dirt clod and all in my swamp so that they stuck up and got illuminated in a pattern I liked.

2. Use a perforated tube to channel the fog. I got a corrugated black tube at the hardware store that is used for house drainage. I drilled 3/4" holes in it down the length and sealed the end with great stuff.

3. Use a powerful fog machine (more than 400W) if you have a long run. I used a mini machine that was only 400W though and it worked well for my setup. The wind currents sometimes pulled the fog under the drive and out the other side, which I thought was cool, so didn't seal the culvert behind the fog machine. All of the mechanics got hidden under the effect, even though ever other house has a streetlight. My yard is big, so the streetlight is maybe 100' away. I was lucky that the light wasn't stuck on that corner of my house. I also had my ticki torch and poofer gate 10' away, so it threw some flickering orange light over that part of the scene, but it was ok.

I will find pictures I took and upload 1 or 2. I will use lightroom to try and make it look like I saw it. It is one of those things that is difficult to photograph because our eye/brain combination has a lot more dynamic range to pick out the light to dark details at night. A camera can see the laser but not the fog, for example, so the picture doesn't do it justice. I didn't take the time to take multiple exposures on a tripod and use HDR on them, but I should be able to do something similar since I photographed it using RAW format on my camera and can pick stuff out of the shadows.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not sure how they keep the fog from just being everywhere and hiding your view at eye level. I am going to ask them.
I have been testing with different Froggy's Fog to get this working. There were several elements that were needed.

- I tried out "Bog Fog", "Freezin fog Juice", "Cryofreeze", and "Velocity".
- I choose to go with Cryofrreeze, this was similar to Freezin but it dissipated more quickly and did not float in the air for very long. I may also choose to use Bog Fog but it takes time to dissipate
- You need a fog cooler to keep it low
- You need to keep the fog fresh, not really a lot of it but it must stay low. If you want to mask out under the laser then you need a lot and you need to spread it out across the room, I think multiple fog sources would work better or extensive pipping
- the really cool effect is right when the fog first hits the lasers and it looks like it is bubbling and this really blocks the ground underneath
- you need to do a good job of aligning the lasers to make sure they are even across the room
- Also be careful with other color lights above the laser as it might cut through your line.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can use much less expensive ones found on Ebay. They are called Line Lasers. They run between 21 and $30.00 w/ free shipping.
I use 4 of them to create the swamp effect but you can do it with two as well.

·
Registered
869 Posts
https://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/201245-laser-swamp-effect-3-00-a.html was a post made awhile back that seemed interesting to us. It might tbe worth a look for those thinking $70 is a bit much for an effect.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts