Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i want to use vsa but i'm just trying it out with diyk74 right now and it doesn't seem to find the board. How do i get my computer to recognize the board and get it to work with vsa?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've never used the diyk74, but I've used this kit with VSA and it works like a charm.

Do you have a 12VDC power supply connected to the kit74?
Do you have it plugged directly into the PC or through a cable? If cable, have you tried skipping the cable?
Did you solder the board yourself or buy a pre-made one? If soldered yourself, recheck everything.
Are any LEDs On?

Make sure your PC's parallel port is visible. Goto Start - Settings - Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager, then under the Ports (COM & LPT) section, you should see a "LPT" listed (hopefully with no little yellow triangle next to it).

Did you try it in VSA? If you don't have VSA yet, you can download a DEMO and test it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Never used a Kit74 with VSA, but I'd imagine all you need to do is tell VSA what output you're using with which channel. Open VSA and click on settings in the tool bar (little box with a hammer in it.) Find the tracks you're using to trigger the kit74 relays and change the type to LPT Relay (I think, like I said I've never used the kit74 with vsa before) and the port to whichever parallel port you're using - most likely LPT1. The PC won't automatically recognize the kit74.

·
Registered
334 Posts
OK try this.

12v power to card.
VSA - On
Click on setting (hammer)
Type, Double click in cell to get the drop down, set to LPT Relay
Port, Double click in cell to the to drop down, set to Lpt1 or 2 or 3.
Address 0-7 for each Lpt Port ( 1,2 or 3).

This should do it, Good luck.

PMT

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was only powering it with the extension cords attached to the lights, I forgot to power the board itself (stupid me). So I'll go out and pick a power cord up when I have a chance. What type do you suggest I get?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts