Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing my first hollusion project... and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. You can see the light from the projector AND the material. I'm going to play around tonight with the brightness and contrast on the projector which a friend suggested. Any other ideas? here is my pic from last nights attempt. hallow.jpg

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Are you rear projecting? If so and the projector is in the viewing line of sight, you're gonna see it. That setup works best with front projection.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would agree with J-Man about the front projection. You'll usually get a hot spot visible from some angle rear projecting.

What's the fabric you're using? That may be contributing to the visibility.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't think they are talking about the hot spot. I think they are talking about actually seeing the whole fabric vs seeing empty space around it.

Normally hollusion material is set up in a door or a window where the edges are against a wall, not next to air. If that were my set up I would find a way to hide the edges of the material with something, potted trees or something maybe...?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I don't think they are talking about the hot spot. I think they are talking about actually seeing the whole fabric vs seeing empty space around it.

Normally hollusion material is set up in a door or a window where the edges are against a wall, not next to air. If that were my set up I would find a way to hide the edges of the material with something, potted trees or something maybe...?
Bingo.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try to project from the back on an angle. I find that if you try to hide and blend the projection material into its surrounding, then it will help make it disappear. Also, use some colored lights behind the projection, to make it look more translucent. This is what I did with atmosfx projection material, and atmosfx projection software.https://youtu.be/u5lGgPwFcOs
https://youtu.be/q4yGUU4h6qY

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,919 Posts
Set your projector right below the screen and point it back, away from the screen. Place a good sized mirror about 3ft in front of the projector and prop it up so the image bounces back onto the screen. This should help with both issues. I did for me anyways, rear projecting onto a frosted shower curtain. You will of course need to adjust the keystone on the projector because reflecting the image at an angle like that is going to do weird things to the frame.

My setup from last year...

IMG_20181008_100948.jpg

IMG_20181008_101004.jpg

You can see how it looks in action in this video...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Has there been a unanimous decision on material for outdoor hollusion yet ? I used a gray chiffon from Hobby Lobby. It was fine for the hollusion but like the OP I could see the material.

44602324_10156786010258415_1814026020680892416_n (1).jpg

I love Atmos and have bought many projections but in their outdoor projection/hollusion video they make it look like the material is invisible. I have yet to see anyone accomplish that look on their own.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Has there been a unanimous decision on material for outdoor hollusion yet ? I used a gray chiffon from Hobby Lobby. It was fine for the hollusion but like the OP I could see the material.

View attachment 582309

I love Atmos and have bought many projections but in their outdoor projection/hollusion video they make it look like the material is invisible. I have yet to see anyone accomplish that look on their own.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is more info click on the link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts