Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've seen a lot of impressive graveyards on this site. i especially like the ones that are lit up with colored lights. i want to light mine up too... with orange and blue and red lights.

what kind of fixtures are you guys using? and where did you find them and how much did they cost? i've been looking online and so far floodlights and spotlights seem to cost a little more than i expected.

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
Target has single flood light fixtures for $4. Walmart carries the colored flood lights for $6. I bought some fixtures last year after Christmas on clearance and now I can't find the darn things!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,852 Posts
I got my floodlight spots from Walgreens for $5 or $6 - dark green plastic, waterproof, short cords.

The actual flood light bulbs you should be able to find most home improvement stores or in the light bulb sections. I've seen amber, green, blue, red and green ones. The amber isn't really a strong orange, think peachy.

You'll also want to pick up some heavy duty extension cords for outside usage. You could go with the typical orange/yellow ones, but there are the lovely dark green ones that you don't have to worry about being visible. They can be expensive, so pick up one if you don't have any, but do check out the after x-mas sales to grab the cords that go on clearance.

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
If you want some fixtures really cheap, wait until the after Christmas clearance!!! We bought several fixtures and a couple of powerstrip boxes that stake into the ground for about $2. a piece.

I bought my bulbs from Home Depot....I think they were around $7.00

we use a red one in the toe pincher coffin; a blue one on the cemetery and a green one on the front of the house to light up the Pumpkinrot....he makes the best shadow!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good lighting

Of course good lighting is up to you. But as many people here have said WalMart, WalGreens, etc have some good fixtures that will work just fine. However, for a grave yard I don't really think you want a flood of light more of a spot light. In order to make a good spot light take a coffee can and some black spray paint. Make a hole in the back of the can so you can run your "flood" light wiring through. Then set up a hinge on one side so it can be mounted to a tree, or a post. Finally find yourself some easter color cellophane wrapping and a rubber band. Make sure your coffee can has a large enough diameter to set the flood light in recessed. With your light in place and mounted secure the colored cellophane to the front as a gel and turn on your spot light.

Works great for those creepy Halloween nights. Oh btw, you might want to look into the florescent flood plant lights. These will not get as hot, as a regular flood lamp will melt easter gel. And use the fixtures you got from WalMart or Walgreens because they are UIL rated and will work if it rains and you don't stand a chance of getting shocked and ending up in your own graveyard. oooooooooooooooooo...

·
Registered
51 Posts
We bought our fixtures from Lowes, they came with the ground stakes and a wall mount for around $4 I think. As for the lights this year will be our first year using LED floods and spots purchased from Minions Web They are a bit more expensive than regular flood lights but they look fantastic

·
Registered
203 Posts
I usually have yellow and red lights, last year I added blue. I found the the blue was good for mood lighting, but not light enough for areas that you don't want people to trip over things. For example, I have a dark chain fence around my graveyard, with the blue light it was invisible. A few people bumped into it. This year I will take a bit more time with the light placement.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all for the help. i was thinking that wally's, home depot, lowes...some of those places must have the plastic holiday cheapies...i just couldn't find them online.

as for making some...maybe next year. right now, it's crunch time and i'm waaaaaaay behind. i need a quick easy solution.

in fact...i'm off to find some lights...:)

thanks guys!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts