Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm having a "Pirates and Wenches" party in a few weeks. Using lightorama I have a sequence in which cannons will fire across the room and I want to add damage effects to the false walls I'm making (out of cardboard).

For anyone who has been to Disney World they have a neat effect at "Muppet Vision 3D show." They have a void behind the existing wall that appears "damaged" and is covered by a screen to match the outter wall. When the "damage" happens the void is limit from inside and shows through the screen. I want to do the same thing by making a void on the wall but am not sure how to make it appear damaged.

I would like it to look like damaged stone or that a cannon ball struck the side of a building. I am having trouble finding reference pictures for this, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,177 Posts
Clearly, I'm a little late on this thread....only just saw it tonight. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not sure if it is exactly what you are looking to achieve, but check out Dave Lowe's work on his Witch Crash, and how he did the damaged wall. It might help get you started.....

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,177 Posts
While it is still far from finished, I thought I'd share a little project I'm preparing for the indoor portion of my pirate haunt. (it's a pub-style affair) I think that it is far enough along to convey the concept.

Anyway, while I won't be carrying many elements of the show inside, and I'm not sure that this will work for what you have in mind, I am doing a cannonball wedged into the wall for atmosphere

The idea is to incorporate the wall damage effect and the glowing coals concept together....I know that it will probably require a bit of imagination to see what it will ultimately be, but I wanted to share in case it might help get your concept going:

First, I sliced a 45 degree wedge out of a plastic bowling ball; this is to allow it to wrap around a corner, and give the illusion that half of it is insided the wall.....you can tell by the look on his face that he knows what is coming:

Bowling ball Ball Bowling equipment Handpan

Then, I crumpled up some of that stiff brown packing paper that Amazon so kindly provides me with, seemingly ad infinitum:

The paper was shaped into the exploding starfish pattern, and the middle was then stuffed into the 45 degree opening in the back of the ball. The stuffed-in bit was formed to allow the battery pack for the LED string to live inside as well. Then, the starfish shaped bits were sprayed with a 50/50 mixture of water and glue out of a squirt bottle....once dry, it holds it's shape.

The LED battery pack was stuffed inside the ball, and the LEDs were simply taped to the back of the starfish arms in order that they will glow through....hopefully, to convey the idea that it was recently fired/lodged.

Then, the entire thing was glued to a very thin piece of cardboard that will be painted the color of the wall in the house....this will give me the ability to mount it to the wall with some small thumbtacks and leave the actual wall virtually unblemished.

As you can see, there is still quite a lot to do, (for one thing, painting the Kashi cereal box to look more like a wall, and less like colored cardboard), and the flash has washed out some of the LED glow, but if you squint a bit, you'll get the impression that it's stuck in the wall. Maybe some element of this project will help get the wheels turning for you....

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,177 Posts
Thanks, Terra! You must have been using the 'squinting' trick. ;)

I did make some additional progress on the little guy this morning....I think he's getting close to done:

Twig Branch Fashion accessory Metal

Art Illustration

I hope it's of use to RedFoxRunner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts