Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Im kind of a newbie... but Im trying to figure out how to do a NON static , flying Madame Leota effect.... ultimately incorporate my flying crank ghost with a projection on the head - but i cant figure out how the best way would be... any ideas?

Chad

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Wow! That looks like something you'd see in Disney's Haunted Mansion! Very nice.
Sorry, I can't think of a way you could project an image on a moving object like that. It would somehow have to be internal inside the head somehow.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Unfortunately I can't help you with your problem, however is there anyway you could provide a behind the scenes on your patio setup! It is great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I remember reading somewhere how to create your own vacuum molded mask that will allow you to do rear projection through the mask which is the same technology used at Disney. The early floating leota was front projection and then switched. For what you are lookin to do could be done from front projection however you would have to track the floating "screen" using software, but you would have to make sure the screen uses the same path every time and that they are timed properly. I would be fairly easy to do in the program called Motion by Apple. Its part of their video suite of software, is pricey and will only run on a mac but could do what you are looking to do in 15 minutes of work. There may be a windows program you can use as well. If you do front projection the fog may have an impact on the quality and effect.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm sure it's possible, but I don't know of any off the shelf way to do it. Like WDI said, the video could be made to track up and down with Motion or After Effects, but the problem would be syncing the motion of the fcg with the video.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Haha, nice setup. Our FCG is named Isabelle. Great name for a ghost!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think the rear projection system inside the FCG would be the best approach.

That way you don't need to track the movement of the ghost.

The big problems with doing it this way will be getting a projector with a short enough throw distance, and the weight of the projection system.

Buy a clear mask:

See Thru Masks in Accessories, Wigs, Masks, Hats, & Makeup Halloween Masks Classic Character Masks

use paint thinner or acetone to clean of the decorations, then very lightly coat the inside of the mask with a coat of white paint. Use spray paint with the can held 12-18 to do this. This will be the rear projection surface.

Then you will need a first surface mirror. They can be scavenged out of old rear projection televisions or these are kind of small, but could work depending on the light path layout:

American Science & Surplus : "Mirror" - Mirrors and Beamsplitters

Do not use a regular mirror with the reflective surface on the back of the mirror - this gives a double image when projecting. You will get a reflection off the glass and then off the mirror.

The mirror goes in the head behind the face.

Mount the projector in the body with the lens pointing up at the mirror.

Look at some of the pico projectors that are being sold today:

The 3M MPro120: It's About Time Pico Projectors Grew Up - 3M mpro120 - Gizmodo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts