Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the issue.

The rockerarm keeps wiggling out. I've changed the screws and nut hoping for a more solid fit but nothing works. The rocker arm attaches to the motor but it only slides over so any uneven rotor action and it wobbles out.

Looking for a permanent solution but need some ideas.

Here is a quick movie of the problem

·
Registered
399 Posts
my first thought would be to fill the socket with epoxy and push it back on, make sure the shaft is clean.

Do you have a drill press? Maybe drill a hole through the shaft and the arm and slip a cotter pin in.?

ill let you know if I have any other ideas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Epoxy will work I think. I would also (first) drill a hole for a cotter key to stabilize it. Then add the epoxy, push it on and push through the cotter key.

Should be good.

Other option might be to thread the shaft with a small die? Hard to tell from the video what size the shaft is.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Most motor shafts are hardened and pretty tough to drill for a pin. Be sure you have a good bit.

If the crankarm is metal, try to JBWeld it into place. If plastic, epoxy as said above. Let it cure 24 hours...before stressing it to try.

Any chance to find a pulley that will fit that shaft? One with a set screw...then you can drill a hole atthe edge of the pulley for your bolt.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I see that the motor shaft has a flat on it. What's the material of the crank arm, and can you drill and tap the arm for a 4-40 or 6-32 set screw? Also, the long shaft that's attached to the crank arm is shifting location on the large bolt (1/4-20?). I agree with Diabolik, you need to stabilize the long arm; his suggestion is the way to go. Lubricate any rotating parts in the linkage.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to thank all of you for your great ideas.

I ended up drilling a hole as you all suggested through the arm and secured it with some wire. To make it work as you all suggested I epoxy'd the crank arm but I'm running it all night so it doesn't stick to the back.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I want to thank all of you for your great ideas.

I ended up drilling a hole as.................
I would have to say, thats why we all come here, to get help, and help others with problems that we have solved ourselfs in the past.

No need to have someone solve the same problem when you already have the answer.

Glad we could help.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wel the epoxy seems to be holding great and it ran for 6 hours without an issue!

Thank you ALL for your help!

Great Success!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts