Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed but searching here and the world of google I cant find exactly what I'm looking for. I am building new pillars for my haunt this year and am propping up some skelly/gargoyle guys up top. The angle is strong and I am having issues with a windshield wiper motor fitting and the fan motor I hacked up to fit burned up just in the testing stages, must need the air from the blade to stay cool? So I'm thinking a easy solution would be to glue a servo motor to his head and spine. I know nothing about them and the websites seem to give information to only people that do. I'm just wanting the head to rotate back and forth this year as I'm running out of time to finish all my projects, so nothing to complicated, I will add more as I learn more about servos and programming. If someone has a better idea then servos, I would love to hear it as I am stumped. By the way the pillar is 7'6"

Attachments

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah, without the fan blades, fan motors tend to burn out quickly. To solve your issue you could use a low rpm motor with a gear or wheel, and an attached arm. Sort of like what the oscillator in a fan does. Think of it like the drive mechanism on a steam locomotive. The large wheel has an arm coming ofF of it which goes into the steam piston. Linear motion creates the rotational motion on the wheel. You'll just be reversing the concept to have coattail all motion create linear. I have a set up like this on my cursed helmsman prop. If I explanation doesn't make much sense, I can grab a photo of it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A picture would definitely help me out. Do you know where I could buy the motor and parts online?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yup. The further away from the center of the motor shaft you go, the more left/right motion you will get. Attach to a stationary post or location on the head. In my case I needed it to look like my skelly was turning a ships wheel back and forth, so my drive wheel is vertical. For your effect you want to mount it horizontal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips guys, would really like to do a servo motor but I may put my thoughts back on this set up. Not much room in the column though as the slant of the skeleton is way forward and it puts the rod from the skull way in the corner. I am going to build the base and top out more a few inches anyway to add some bulk so maybe that will give me more room to fit a motor in there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dave, I'm building the main columns 2.0 right now since I didn't like the way these turned out. I will try and re-position the skeletons to fit better. This will also give me some more time to come up with a better option. Can the reindeer motors be purchased or are they hacked?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Grainger is a good source for motors. I'm incorporating some servos into some of my props this year, but it's not something I would recommend if you haven't worked with them before and are pressed for time.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You might consider putting the motor and crank assembly in the column. This would give you lots of room to hide the motor and keep it dry. The skele head would be attached to a long rod that is hidden behind or inside the spine of the skele. The motor and crank turn the rod from side to side, turning the head back and forth.

Pete

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grainger is a good source for motors. I'm incorporating some servos into some of my props this year, but it's not something I would recommend if you haven't worked with them before and are pressed for time.
I will check them out as well. After reading up on the servos I think your right, I will tinker with them for next year but will for sure pass this year.

You might consider putting the motor and crank assembly in the column. This would give you lots of room to hide the motor and keep it dry. The skele head would be attached to a long rod that is hidden behind or inside the spine of the skele. The motor and crank turn the rod from side to side, turning the head back and forth.

Pete
My initial plan was for the motor inside but its a tight angle and puts the rod very close to the corner. I'm in AZ so I shouldn't have a issue with moisture haha, plus I pretty much put all my props out starting at 6am on Halloween to keep the thieves away and take it all down after the party that night. Its a family effort.

Cool Bert but that is a link to bigant's columns. Kind of where I got some of my inspiration. I am working on version 2.0 now and hopefully go with my new route, I still have tons to do to get these finished. I will be trimming these out and doing some busted out sections with brick showing, also adding LED strip lighting to the top so the will light up nice. I will be using the same stuff I used for my TV, you can change colors, strobe and more. Also adding plaques and making some skull sconces. I also want to place either skulls around the top or heads for his victims. Please don't mind my garage, I have two car builds going on as well.

IMG_3035.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SO main gate pillars 2.0 are almost complete. All wood except for the lights. I decided not to take another day carving another sign so I cut out a cardboard template and airbrushed around it to make it look like it fell off. Ended up biting the bullet and getting the motors from fright props with controllers so I can have more control of the speed. Motors should ship this week, since they aren't sitting on the shelf it takes a few weeks. These will be the new house for my big cerwin vegas that I used to hide in toe pincher's. I have a pretty sweet playlist of scary music that plays along with ambient sound in the fence post pillars and from the bushes. This year the toe pinchers will pop open with a surprise. Since the tots have been used to them just sitting there it should be a nice scare.

IMG_3053.jpg
IMG_3057.jpg
IMG_3056.jpg
IMG_3058.jpg

A quick video of the lights, iPhone doesn't take great video in the dark but they light up much better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts