Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone-

Busy planning haunted walk in my farm's woods for 2012. I use volunteer tour guides and am never sure if all of the safety rules are addressed right and so I began to think..dangerous I know...but just bare with me..

I would lead the tour into a room with two benches lining either side (where they take a seat) and then the lights go out and the room turns completely black. For the next five minutes or so the "narrator" (taped script played via cd into a sound system) would take them through the rules of the haunt and then the backstory (the way we do our haunted walk is like a moving spooky play)

But I want effects so this is where I need help.

Idea one: How to make a lightning bolt that come down in the middle of the room. Possible?

Idea two: How to move something across the back of the guests legs while they are seated (mechanically)

Idea three: How to make the voice in the television sound system bounce around the room.

Idea four: How to alter the voice to make it sound spookier (free or very affordable sound program out there?)

Remember it is going to be pitch black in there so I want to play off of their other senses. Any ideas?

As always- I appreciate all the help that this forum's members give. Thank you

·
Registered
246 Posts
For sound effects try using audacity. For the thing moving across the guests legs you could use air whips. Pretty sure someone on here sells them or fright props. For lightning you can really make a single bolt go in the middle of the room it would be more of a flash not a bolt but for lightning you can use dmx dimmers or a strobe light controller. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
191 Posts
for the sound you can use a 5.1 reciever with the speakers placed around the room, you can use audacity to creat a 5.1 sound track and use that to move the sound around the room.

if everyone is sitting on the same side you might be able to achieve similar results using a set of stereo speakers.

for the lighting, you could use some cool white led strips, arranged to look jagged, seperated in to small groups and then use a sequencer to move from top to bottom and at the bottom in the center place a bright strobe light, ( i would consider hacking a couple of disposable cameras for the flash units and then set them off for a bright blinding light, which should help sell the effect, like a flash blindness.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great Ideas.

Googled Ankle Ticklers-this might work. I found ones you can buy looking for homemade diy instructions.

The lightning is going to be more tricky.

This is going to be great if I can pull it off. I am working on the script now.

Any other neat interactive ideas to put in are always welcome and thanks again for your input

·
Registered
191 Posts
Another way you might attempt a bolt of lighting, is to get 1 or 2 old fiber optic Christmas trees, strip off all the tree parts, that will leave you with a fiber optic whip about 6 feet long with sections that end progressively up the bundle, then just play around with LEDs at the end, a couple of 3 watt leds in the 6500k temperature range, and test placements and you should get a nice streak of light down the center of the room.
add a few strobes around the room for additional light.

·
Registered
154 Posts
For lightening bolt I would use plexiglass in the middle of the floor... On either side I would put columns so that people will not walk into it... Also on both sides of the front Decorate with foliage, skulls, birds.. (what ever) so nobody walks through.

Set up on each side of your plexiglass, behind rows of seats, video or still player. Set lights to dim when lightening bolts are triggered to play. line them up so where ever your guests sit they will see the reflection of the lightening bolt ( Pepper Ghost Effect ) will be seen by them... Keep lighting low in the room and where it is not reflected off the plexiglass. You can mask glass even more by using Scrim fabric to mask the sheen of the glass. Use Scrim in more places then middle so it is not like you are disguising something... other parts of the room that you use the scrim you can also flash other effects or put skeletons and or props behind it use colored lights (blue or green) or if you want to make it even more cool... Take Cellophane and place them behind the other scrim, at the bottom put yellow and red lights and also a fan... Turn the fan on and the cellophane will resemble fire... place totem pole heads hanging from the roof in front of them to really make an awesome effect. Hope this works for you...

·
Registered
154 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnklf8Uv-wQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnklf8Uv-wQ&feature=related

For lightening bolt I would use plexiglass in the middle of the floor... On either side I would put columns so that people will not walk into it... Also on both sides of the front Decorate with foliage, skulls, birds.. (what ever) so nobody walks through.

Set up on each side of your plexiglass, behind rows of seats, video or still player. Set lights to dim when lightening bolts are triggered to play. line them up so where ever your guests sit they will see the reflection of the lightening bolt ( Pepper Ghost Effect ) will be seen by them... Keep lighting low in the room and where it is not reflected off the plexiglass. You can mask glass even more by using Scrim fabric to mask the sheen of the glass. Use Scrim in more places then middle so it is not like you are disguising something... other parts of the room that you use the scrim you can also flash other effects or put skeletons and or props behind it use colored lights (blue or green) or if you want to make it even more cool... Take Cellophane and place them behind the other scrim, at the bottom put yellow and red lights and also a fan... Turn the fan on and the cellophane will resemble fire... place totem pole heads hanging from the roof in front of them to really make an awesome effect. Hope this works for you...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hello Farmgal,

I was Design Director for Disney Studios for 14 years... I have made thousands of sets in that time, of course I had much more technical high priced devices I used.. Many I designed myself. But on a non-studio setting Yes it will work you simply have to play with the projection to allow all guests to see the lightening. The secret is the lights dimming as the flash lights... The lighting should always be low and hidden, plug your lights into a lightening box so the bolt of lighting flashes the lights will flicker and dim very low... It should be a big hit! Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.