Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I am new here! I have looked all around everywhere (internet and YouTube and Pinterest) to see if anyone has ever used the inside of their house as a walkthrough haunt. We have grown our collection of decorations through out the years and are thinking of taking over our 1st floor and turning it into a walkthrough haunt. We live in the northeast so weather is not great for outdoor things and garage is not that big (one car tight garage) . I wanted to know if anyone has done this before or if you have any ideas or precautions I should take.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The question is. Are you opening your house to the public or just for people that you know? If it’s to the public make sure it’s safe to walk inside your house because if an accident happens to one of these people the responsibility is on you. There are a bunch of safety issues you need to follow...and also make sure people don’t wonder inside rooms that are not supposed to be enter.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hate to be negative but I think it's a big risk. While the vast majority of people will be respectful and appreciate what you are doing it only takes one bad egg who decides to case the place and either steal what you have now or come back and break in later.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My thoughts.

1. Check to make sure you have insurance to cover accidental, or intentional slip and falls. Your homeowners insurance may not cover it.
2. Lock up everything of financial, or sentimental value.
3. Fire and building codes still apply to you.
4. Make it obvious where people can and cannot go.
5. Someone will probably want to use your bathroom.

Other than that have fun. There was someone on here that did a huge walk of their house but recently gave it up because they spent so much time on it but I forget who that was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your replies. We plan on covering all the rooms completely and have people in each room (4 rooms total including garage). We are only planning on doing it as a neighborhood thing. We also have cameras placed in each room including entrance. If there is any other ideas or if you know someone thy does the inside of their home as a home haunt please let me know.
I have created a theme/storyline to go with it And each room will have a theme. What type of warning signs should I have before they enter? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi. My friend and I use their house for a walk through for around 3 years now for a neighborhood haunt. I would defiantly recommend putting plastic down because mud tracks very easily. Generally in my experience, people have been pretty respectful, but there are always people who have messed with props, or other elements in the house.

We normally clear everything out of the bottom floor of the house that isn't apart of the haunt, and anything that we can't move, we wall off so people can't get access to it.

I haven't had any bad experiences so far when using a home as a place for a haunt, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

·
Registered
461 Posts
... What type of warning signs should I have before they enter? Any thoughts? ...
I would just take a look at some pro haunts and see what they post for disclaimers, rules, ect and adapt as necessary without making them a turnoff.

For example.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
We do an elaborate garage/yard walk-thru haunt, safety is always one of our biggest concerns. Make sure your path is well marked or identified by lighting, actor, tape, or whatever. Keep the path as level as possible, stairs are dangerous, grade changes need to be marked, etc. Be careful of hooks, door knobs, things like that people can catch costumes/clothing on. Our warning signage indicates fog machines in use, strobe lights, lasers, no touching actors or props, no running, eating, smoking, and video surveillance in progress. Now I can't imagine having people in my home going through a haunt, but that's me. I've seen it done, just be very mindful of safety. I am not going to discuss liability/insurance as I'm from Canada, things are different up here!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi. My friend and I use their house for a walk through for around 3 years now for a neighborhood haunt. I would defiantly recommend putting plastic down because mud tracks very easily. Generally in my experience, people have been pretty respectful, but there are always people who have messed with props, or other elements in the house.

We normally clear everything out of the bottom floor of the house that isn't apart of the haunt, and anything that we can't move, we wall off so people can't get access to it.

I haven't had any bad experiences so far when using a home as a place for a haunt, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.
Finally someone that has done it. Please share more details on what you do and use. What precautions do you take? How many rooms and through what rooms do the people walk through? How and what kind of decor do you use for the inside of the house?
Share with me as much as possible... very interested to know since I have been searching everywhere.
I am only keeping my home haunt as a neighborhood thing nothing extreme. My plans are to start through the garage and go out the front entrance, making people waking through the garage into kitchen then dining room and out through the living room. I plan on blocking the stairs to go upstairs with a wall and covering it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We do an elaborate garage/yard walk-thru haunt, safety is always one of our biggest concerns. Make sure your path is well marked or identified by lighting, actor, tape, or whatever. Keep the path as level as possible, stairs are dangerous, grade changes need to be marked, etc. Be careful of hooks, door knobs, things like that people can catch costumes/clothing on. Our warning signage indicates fog machines in use, strobe lights, lasers, no touching actors or props, no running, eating, smoking, and video surveillance in progress. Now I can't imagine having people in my home going through a haunt, but that's me. I've seen it done, just be very mindful of safety. I am not going to discuss liability/insurance as I'm from Canada, things are different up here!
Thank you so much for the advice and the small suggestion that I would of overlooked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally someone that has done it. Please share more details on what you do and use. What precautions do you take? How many rooms and through what rooms do the people walk through? How and what kind of decor do you use for the inside of the house?
Share with me as much as possible... very interested to know since I have been searching everywhere.
I am only keeping my home haunt as a neighborhood thing nothing extreme. My plans are to start through the garage and go out the front entrance, making people waking through the garage into kitchen then dining room and out through the living room. I plan on blocking the stairs to go upstairs with a wall and covering it.
Thanks!
As for precautions, we have a few signs describing the rules of the haunt (No touching the props or actors, No running, If you want a walk-through because you have a very small kid please tell us, and we can disable the jump scares etc) , and what to expect (blood, loud sounds, strobe lights, fog, etc).

We also move any paperwork, or valuables upstairs, or into one of the rooms we board up so we don't have anything of importance walk away (We never have, but we also don't want to take any chances)

We tape down plastic sheets to the floor to try to not dirty the house floors as much as we can, but its inevitable with 400-500 people walking through. We also have a actor in almost every room, to scare, and to keep an eye on people just in case.

Anything that is not a flat walkway we use red and white reflective duct tape, and a white light shining on it so people can see if they need to step up/down. We also use neon colored tape to draw arrows on the walls to point people in the right direction.

For rooms, we had like 3 or so rooms with hallways, and a outside path around the house. This year we are adding another room. We usually block off doorways with black plastic and painters tape and caution tape in-front of the plastic.

As for props, I am really into building my own animatronic props. My friend and I come up with a theme, and then try to build the haunt around that. I also use some of AtmosFX's videos in a few of my props as well. I often get things from the thrift store, and then modify them to my needs.

I am more then happy to get into a voice chat with you at some-point if that is easier to ask questions then writing on a forum. I will try to be active on the forum but I am a college student and am buried knee deep in homework, and the rest of my free-time is working on the haunt for this year 🎃

Here are two videos from last years walk-through:

I don't currently have any build guides on my props (I plan too, I just need a big block of time to do so) but I have all the code for my props on GitHub if you wish to check them out here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for precautions, we have a few signs describing the rules of the haunt (No touching the props or actors, No running, If you want a walk-through because you have a very small kid please tell us, and we can disable the jump scares etc) , and what to expect (blood, loud sounds, strobe lights, fog, etc).

We also move any paperwork, or valuables upstairs, or into one of the rooms we board up so we don't have anything of importance walk away (We never have, but we also don't want to take any chances)

We tape down plastic sheets to the floor to try to not dirty the house floors as much as we can, but its inevitable with 400-500 people walking through. We also have a actor in almost every room, to scare, and to keep an eye on people just in case.

Anything that is not a flat walkway we use red and white reflective duct tape, and a white light shining on it so people can see if they need to step up/down. We also use neon colored tape to draw arrows on the walls to point people in the right direction.

For rooms, we had like 3 or so rooms with hallways, and a outside path around the house. This year we are adding another room. We usually block off doorways with black plastic and painters tape and caution tape in-front of the plastic.

As for props, I am really into building my own animatronic props. My friend and I come up with a theme, and then try to build the haunt around that. I also use some of AtmosFX's videos in a few of my props as well. I often get things from the thrift store, and then modify them to my needs.

I am more then happy to get into a voice chat with you at some-point if that is easier to ask questions then writing on a forum. I will try to be active on the forum but I am a college student and am buried knee deep in homework, and the rest of my free-time is working on the haunt for this year 🎃

Here are two videos from last years walk-through:

I don't currently have any build guides on my props (I plan too, I just need a big block of time to do so) but I have all the code for my props on GitHub if you wish to check them out here.
Awesome! Thanks so much for all the detail and videos.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone! I am new here! I have looked all around everywhere (internet and YouTube and Pinterest) to see if anyone has ever used the inside of their house as a walkthrough haunt. We have grown our collection of decorations through out the years and are thinking of taking over our 1st floor and turning it into a walkthrough haunt. We live in the northeast so weather is not great for outdoor things and garage is not that big (one car tight garage) . I wanted to know if anyone has done this before or if you have any ideas or precautions I should take.
for precautions,you may want to make a sign if you plan on using strobe lights, advising people with sensitivity to them or epilepsy to let you know before they enter, i have been doing a home haunt using my garage and driveway for 6 years now and every year we have people that need us to turn them off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
for precautions,you may want to make a sign if you plan on using strobe lights, advising people with sensitivity to them or epilepsy to let you know before they enter, i have been doing a home haunt using my garage and driveway for 6 years now and every year we have people that need us to turn them off.
Thank you! Was definitely planning on having multiple signs around and lite up.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I could never do that, I just don't trust people enough. heh.

That being said I do haunt the crap out of the house for our annual Halloween Party but that is just for IRL friends who know if they bring anyone that ticks me off I will throw them out on their keester.

·
Evil Wizard
2,168 Posts
Unless it were limited just to my garage, I wouldn’t do a walkthrough where strangers could enter my home.

When I was a kid (back in the 1980s), my parents built a walkthrough down in our basement, with static props (plus me as Frankenstein’s monster and my sister as Dracula.) Originally done for a Halloween party with our classmates, we opened it up on Halloween night for the other neighborhood kids. Continued through high school, circa 1991. Even now, people will still walk up my parents at local restaurants and ask: “Didn’t you use to do a haunted house in your basement?”

But those were different, less litigious, times.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I say go for it if that's the direction you want to go but PLAN for something to go WRONG and learn from it. Have posted rules! Hidden cameras for the idiots. Lawyers. . Cover your bases

1 - 20 of 20 Posts