Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for the electronically gifted. I found a set of outdoor speakers at a garage sale for $1, perfect for me to broadcast some sound effects with, however I got to thinking. These are the kind that have the red and black ports in the back that you feed speaker wire into and clamp them in place. I would like to set up some speaker wire and just be able to plug it into my MP3 player. However, I don't believe it works that way. Wouldn't I need an amplifier for that to help power the speakers, or would splicing some speaker wire into a headset jack work?

Does this make sense?

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Sounds like these are rather large speakers. You will probably need an amp to drive them, the average MP3 player is good for driving headphones but that's about it. Hit the garage sales again, even a half-decent boombox with an input for the player and an external speaker jack should work. Depends on how loud you need to sound to be.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yes, definintely need an amplifier of some kind. I usually use a cheap set of those powered PC speakers. They have a built-in amp and plug right into a standard MP3 player jack.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I hook my MP3 player and tablets to my home stereo all the time. Since it's an older stereo (but a really good one) i have an adapter that plugs into my MP3 player's headphone jack and then splits off into two RCA jacks (red and black). Once plugged into my stereo, i can play tunes using the Aux. function as loud as i want. As others have said in this post......i'm afraid you are going to need an amp of some sort to power the speakers along with the input from your MP3 player......cheers.....'Scruff

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes you will need an amp. Just find a cheap set of PC speakers. Then you will just need A/C power. PC speakers have an amp built into them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts