Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! I am trying to source these motors.

They are 12v 5 rpm DC gear motors. They used to have them at all electronics.com but I guess they don't sell them anymore. This is the motor I have used in my cauldron creep prop to make the head move up and down.

I am trying to find a place where they still sell them. I am working on Cauldron Creep 2.5 how-to and want to have an accurate parts lists.

Any help or recommendations for a substitute are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Craig

Attachments

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the one. I didnt even know what it was actually used for. Thanks so muc!

I'm not sure if this is the exact motor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-Dodge-Ram-heater-a-c-VENT-DOOR-ACTUATOR-motor-hvac-box-defrost-floor-BLEND-/121155622084?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c357014c4&vxp=mtr

...but it looks like an actuator motor for a vehicle environmental control system (heater/AC).

The specific link I posted is for a 2005 Dodge Ram actuator motor, just in case the link disappears from Ebay.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STOCK-Metal-SMALL-GEARED-DC-MOTOR-DC-6V-5RPM-MIN-STOCK-NEW-ROBUST-Jf6g-/251475894098?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3a8d219f52

[http://www.ebay.com/itm/STOCK-Metal-SMALL-GEARED-DC-MOTOR-DC-6V-5RPM-MIN-STOCK-NEW-ROBUST-Jf6g-/251475894098?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3a8d219f52

Above is what I used on my cauldron creep.
Since the older model wasn't available.

Since they are rare now. You might consider using this one to include in youyour parts list. Plus its cheaper.

=devils chariot;1600822]Hey Guys! I am trying to source these motors.

They are 12v 5 rpm DC gear motors. They used to have them at all electronics.com but I guess they don't sell them anymore. This is the motor I have used in my cauldron creep prop to make the head move up and down.

I am trying to find a place where they still sell them. I am working on Cauldron Creep 2.5 how-to and want to have an accurate parts lists.

Any help or recommendations for a substitute are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Craig[/QUOTE]

·
Halloween Nut
2,941 Posts
I've used a lot of these motors lately in place of the old vent/blend motor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Robust-Small-AC-Synchronous-Motor-TYC-50-110V-AC-5-6RPM-CW-CCW-Torque-4Kgf-cm-/161244562567?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258aecc487

They come from China, but I get them usually in about two weeks.
dave, I just ordered 20 of these on your recommendation for a MNT? Do you have any tutorials on hooking these up to a power source and/or a shaft. The three possibilities I am thinking of is a breathing grave (MadMax design), a flying crank ghost, or a tombstone peeper. Then there is always the leering skeleton prop. Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Well, I hope they will work well for your needs since you ordered 20 of them. You might have been better off just ordering a few to start with and experiment. That's what I do, anyway. LOL
I'm not really sure how much torque these motors have, since I mainly use them for animated Ouija boards. The motors are similar to the reindeer motors where they will reverse direction if too much torque is applied.
If you bought the same motor I put in the link, I just solder on an AC line cord that I order from one of my surplus web sites.
Like this one: http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/lcac-412/2-conductor-black-power-cord/1.html

To attach a crank to the motor--go to Lowe's or another hardware store and buy some metric 4 (M4) screws. They are in the
"Specialty Item" drawers in the hardware aisle. This screw is threaded to fit the hole in the end of the motor shaft.

I don't have a tutorial on this, but it's pretty easy to do.
I don't think this motor would work for a flying crank ghost, though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm using one of those motors (2-3 RPM) for my tombstone popper and it works great. The only odd thing is that sometimes it turns one way, and sometimes it turns the other way.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Dave in the grave. LOL 20 seemed like a good idea last night. I'm sure the will be fine for the projects I have in mind. Thanks for the power tips and the m4 screw note.
Well, I can't blame you since that definitely saved some bucks on the shipping. I'm glad I could help and I hope all your projects are a success!

I'm using one of those motors (2-3 RPM) for my tombstone popper and it works great. The only odd thing is that sometimes it turns one way, and sometimes it turns the other way.
Yea, reindeer motors do that too. When you start them up after powering down they will turn in the opposite direction.

·
Halloween Nut
2,941 Posts
Hey Dave, I received my motors two days ago. It took just under two weeks. So far I'm happy with my purchase, so thanks for the heads up. Anyway, we were talking about power sources, and I just wanted to make sure the one you suggested will work with the exact motor I received. Here's a photo of the label on the motor. I don't want to kill anyone. That would put a damper on the MNT.

20140502_071921.jpg

Also, my motors have two different holes running through the shaft, and it appears the inside of the shaft is threaded. Just thought I would note that for others here on the forum.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I'm glad to hear you got your motors. Yea, an AC line cord will work with this motor. You can just cut the cord off any old appliance you are throwing out and use that. Home AC is 120 volts, so no problems. Just to test the motor, I sometimes just stick both bare wires into an electric socket to make it turn.
And the threaded shaft uses an M-4 screw (metric). You can find them at Lowe's.

Don't do what I did last summer. I thought I had ordered this same motor, but it was actually one that ran on 12 volts AC, not 120. Plugged that thing in and POW !! What a waste of a good motor.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Thanks Dave for the advice. I don't think I will ever have the nerve to stick the two wires into the socket. LOL I just ordered my power cords.
Oh, c'mon--try it. Really when you plug anything into an electric socket, you're really just sticking an extension of the two wires straight into the outlet.

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Devils Chariot, Did you ever get a tutorial done? I am totally useless when it comes to motors (or electronics, in general), but really want to do a cauldron creep this year. Would love a tutorial with links to the exact products needed, but most don't have that (and I would totally screw it up).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Devils Chariot, Did you ever get a tutorial done? I am totally useless when it comes to motors (or electronics, in general), but really want to do a cauldron creep this year. Would love a tutorial with links to the exact products needed, but most don't have that (and I would totally screw it up).
I have the parts list and a bunch of photos. What's missing is I need to figure out how to link up this motor. It might take some drilling and tapping. With the old motor design you could just forcefully screw right into the socket and it worked well. 6 years so far. I'm thinking I make the how to this week leave out how to connect the linkage until figure it out. Then update once I got it sorted. I'll post back here when it's up.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
DaveintheGrave... you're lucky to not REALLY be in a grave after plugging that 12 volt motor into an outlet. You're lucky you didn't get shocked our burned. Yikes!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts