Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Like so many of you, I've been Halloween obsessed since conception. I had access to a nice collection of related juvenile literature in my elementary school library. Can you help remember their titles from my vague descriptions? ;)

some facts:
I was born in 1990 and read these into maybe 3rd grade
had access to Scholastic and Troll book orders and a very modest public library

1) very vague memory; had a glossy cover, well illustrated pen and ink drawing of a ghost and a ruined house (?) with lots of black and green. Contained short ghost stories and poems. I remember that it definitely had The Hearse Song. Probably from a book order catalog, and probably published around 1997.

2) This one I have a pretty good memory of...drawn entirely in black and orange. Drawings aren't especially cutesy, but are still friendly. I remember that the witch was looking for a mushroom (round, black, maybe a puffball? the kind that "smoke"). She had a cat. Seemed old IIRC. Probably published 1975.

3) A young girl thinks that her new next door neighbor is a witch. Drawings are primarily in black and orange. Her suspicion arises from her neighbor's weird dance classes, daily yoga, weird foods, etc. Probably published early 90s.

4) Book of ghost stories written for advanced readers. Strong focus on stories from other countries. I remember a Russian one in particular about a boy and a girl encountering a witch deep in the woods; she chases them down a river but is forced to eat rocks and turtles (?). Sophisticated, detailed illustrations. Probably published ~1988

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly no. I would love to rediscover SSTTITD! But I have the whole trilogy on the shelf in front of me, and it's definitely not #1.

I remembered something about #4. The cover probably had an illustration of a boy reading a book in a graveyard, with several ghosts sitting around him on the tombstones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts