Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to create a Pumpkin Patch - using carved foam pumpkins on 5' pvc (slid over rebar) . What is the best way to dress the pvc as vines going up from ground to head & out forming arms too? Any recomendations or photo's of similar would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dominick

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I was looking for suggestions to make the vine. Any suggestions would be welcome? I was thinking of foam backer rods. Not sure on how to do the leaves ir hands???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Get some 3 strand natural fiber rope thats about as wide as your thumb and pull the strands apart to make 3 separate ropes. Rattle-can 'em w/ 2 or 3 shades of dark green. Then get a bunch of the leaves with wire from Michaels, or similar, and poke and wrap them to the "vines".Pull some of the fibers away on the rope here and there for that organic look and hot melt glue them to the poles .You could also wait to paint last depending on color preference.Sounds like you'll need a lot but it'll look cool when you're done.Bats.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Old rope. Different sizes. I needed rope last year for my pirate haunt... I asked friends, family, and the Florida Haunters group to be on the lookout for rope. FH ended up coming through and finding me tons of free rope (everything from 1/4"-1" thick).

Maybe find some free rope, use a cheap can of green spray paint. If you want it really dirty and natural, maybe after you spray paint it, use some of that spray-glue on it and roll it in the dirt... break up the green. Maybe even use some glue + real leaves?

How much are you going to need? How long is the vine/big is the pumpkin patch?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slowly moving forward!

Thanks for the tips! I went to Michaels & hey had a closeout on some vine leaves - needless to say I cleaned them out!!!

I was able to get 100' pieces of foam *cheap* in different diameters (1/4, 3/8, 1/2, & 3/4). Can I paint these as is with latex to give it more texture? I've never done mache & won't have time to knock oyt 12 of these. Any thoughts on texture / ideas?

Dom

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should I use liquid latex for texture? Never used this before - should I bother? How long does it take to dry? Would it make a difference or should I just spray paint the foam?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts