Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
This effect is new to me. It looks fantastic. But where can you find frosted contact paper/shelf liner? I've tried Home Depot, lowes, Target and Walmart with no luck.

·
Registered
881 Posts
If I were going to do this, I'd try cutting out kitchen wax paper and then apply a little craft adhesive spray on the paper to hold it in place.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've only been able to find a roll of clear Contact paper. How might I still be able to use it? In other words, what could I use to make it appear frosted? Have you been able to locate any since posting, Norman?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but has anyone done this and taken a picture?
Unfortunately the photo they posted as an example is of ACTUAL broken glass.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but has anyone done this and taken a picture?
Unfortunately the photo they posted as an example is of ACTUAL broken glass.

If I remember right, you can get the pictured result using frosted clear contact paper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If I remember right, you can get the pictured result using frosted clear contact paper.
But the picture is of REAL broken glass. I'm curious if anyone has done the contact paper trick and taken a picture.
I would really like to see how the "frosted contact paper" effect actually looks.

·
Registered
668 Posts
image.jpg

Here's a quick version I just threw together. Not really thought out or any detail added. If your going to try this, be sure to spray window cleaner on the glass before applying the contact paper. Squeegee out all the excess and air bubbles, and let it dry a bit before carving.

Edit: Sorry for the sideways pic. I keep forgetting to turn my phone.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not necessarily. You may find it easier to cut "shards" and apply those (would creat less waste). The window cleaner will make it so the pieces can be moved and smooth out air bubbles. Depending on your size shards, you may not have to worry about air bubbles as well. Just easier for there to be some play rather than once the contact paper is stuck, you have to peel it making it stretch and mishape.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
But the picture is of REAL broken glass. I'm curious if anyone has done the contact paper trick and taken a picture.
I would really like to see how the "frosted contact paper" effect actually looks.
I have. I thought that the photo that was provided in the beginning of the thread was of the frosted contact paper trick. If so, they did a fantastic job.
Mine looks nothing like 'real' broken glass. It looks like... frosted contact paper on glass. LOL However, it does give the impression of broken windows which is good enough for me. It's not 'real looking' but is still fun and lends to the haunted house scene setting I am doing.
Let me dig around and find a photo.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I've seen that photo that claims to be frosted contact paper repeatedly, at least over the last couple years. Iittlebuzz is absolutely correct. If you look at the picture closely, you can see light hitting the broken edges of the panes. The glass has thickness-- it is actual broken glass that someone is trying to pass off as their marvelous job with frosted contact paper. File that one with the directions for fake intestines made from nylons that are accompanied by a photo of real guts, or the "bread roll bunnies" that are actually a Japanese pastry formed in a mold. "Yeah, why doesn't mine look that good? You must have amazing special talents."

Clearly there are some good results that can be had with frosted contact paper (evidence above), but it takes the real thing to look exactly like the real thing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I never said someone was claiming they made this with contact paper. I just assumed someone mistakenly referred to it as an example.

I believe the photo comes from a photography website.

I just wanted to see a real example. And now that I have I think it's a pretty convincing effect.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Well I never said someone was claiming they made this with contact paper. I just assumed someone mistakenly referred to it as an example.
I'll say it then. I've seen that particular photo pinned multiple times with claims that a mysterious "I" created it by decorating in tact windows with frosted contact paper.

I do agree that the contact paper effect can be pretty darned good. It's just a gripe of mine when people make fake Pinterest "how to" posts. (the originators, not the in-good-faith re-pinners.)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts