Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help for my pirate display. I want to make a skeleton or dead mermaid for my display next year. I want to make her tangled in fish netting and resting on my cargo. I have looked and I want a realistic fish tail to attach to my skelton but the cheapest I can find is $100 for the tail alone. I do not want to buy a little mermaid tail from disney either. HELP! I think it can be really cool but need some ideas.
Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
Chicken wire.....polyester batting.....latex.

Chicken wire ....paper mache....thin card board scales.

Chicken wire.....tight fitting shiny formal evening gown...scissors.

Just a couple of options.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Do you sew? If so, I'm thinking that would be quickest. Even if you've never done it before it would be super easy. So maybe a better question is do you have access to a sewing machine?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know if you have a idea how to build your Mermaid but I was surfing on the web and I came across this pic. I remembered your thread. may be this could give you an idea on how to design it. Hope this helps a little.

If I was going to build a Mermaid. I probably use some these materials.

1. cheapo foam skull head
2. a cheap black long wig.
3. 3/4 PVC piping for the body, arms, uni-leg.
4. chicken wire to mold the bold.
5. "Great stuff" foam can Home Depot. for making the body rigid.
6. paper mache, newspaper, tissue paper, card board
7. duct tape, Black.
8. any type of acrylic paint with paint brushes to paint the scales.
9. construction adhesive for skin texture.looks awesome for rotting skin.
10. mahogany wood stain. great color for rotting skin look. dab on wipe off effect.

If you need more detail info please feel free to PM me. My name is JiMI.
hope this can give you a idea for materials. Good Luck.

·
Registered
13,632 Posts
Have you considered making a wire based outline of the tail and using cloth or plastic to cover it and then decorate it. Maybe even motorize it. You might be able to find some cool fabric to simulate fish scales or stamp plain fabric with the pattern of them. You could use GID paint or iridescent paint possibly.

I liked the pic of that scary mermaid someone posted. Guess I always consider them to be beautiful.

·
Registered
591 Posts
A thought I just had what about taking a kids umbrella and cutting it so you would have like three or four spokes with the cloth attached and make a tail out of that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you want to do a diy maybe take the shinny tissue paper and glue it onto something a bit more stable and make layers of scales for the tale. Just an idea

1 - 14 of 14 Posts