Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

First time here on halloween forum but its better late than never. I should have done this a long time ago since I am such a crazy horror nut! Anyways I have recently started doing haunted mazes the past couple of years. I use to do them alot when I was a teenager but stopped doing them for a while but I figured that I need to bring Halloween back to the neighborhood. I have many projects that I have been working on and I will start sharing some of my props, etc soon but I need some help making my own bone chandelier. I have a really nice iron chandelier and I recently bought a box of deer bones. I still need to buy the human skulls but that will be done in no time. Does anybody have any idea on what would be the best approach to connect the bones in to place on the chandelier? I will add pictures and more detail tomorrow.

Thanks Again!

Leif

·
Registered
728 Posts
You may also want to consider E6000. The bond is very strong but not very forgiving. The move around time is short so you'll have to place where you want on the first try or shortly there after but the hold is worth the hassle. Just a thought. You can get it at Wal-Mart and I am sure most stores like that. It's like $6 or $7 a tube but it goes a long way as you don't need to use much.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks Shadow Panther for the E6000 tip. I'm planning a rather elaborate (I hope) skull fountain, and this sounds just like the bonding substance I need. Do you know how it relates to styrofoam?
HM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting ready to start

I've not had any problems using it on.......well everything. When you make it I'd love to see pics :)
I'm trying to figure out my approach on this little project of mine. I have a wrought iron chandelier that is about 2 1/2 feet in diameter so it will require many bones. In my sketch I'm thinking about having a second tier where I can hang bones from it as well. I did upload an example of a bone chandelier that I like but Im not trying to duplicate It's look but rather give everyone an idea of what I am feeling for.

Shadow Panther thank you so much for the great advice on the E6000, I can really use that with my small bones that I plan to cover the face of the iron chandelier. I purchased a box of deer bones that I plan to implement in this build. I drilled small holes in every bone because I'm thinking about hanging them throughout the bottom. What I am not sure is if I want to use something like fishing line or some type of twine/rope to attach the pieces. There are 5 hooks on the inside of the chandelier where the chains hook up and go to the ceiling fixture. As you can see in my pictures the chandelier itself has 10 holes in it that look like crosses. Eventually I want to have 10 human replica skulls over those pieces, for I'm thinking that those spots would probably be best to attach the skulls to. Maybe I'll start with 5 skulls and go from there. I found some skulls online for like $20 a pop but if anyone can refer me to a good site or place here is Southern California, I would greatly appreciate it.

I will get another box of bones and hopefully I can find a good deal on some human replica ones, the deer bones are not that bad but I still want to give it a try. As always I am eager to hear other peoples advice or ideas so please chime in. This week I will mount the chandelier in the garage so I can start attaching the bones. Please excuse my childish drawing but It was late last night and I was really tired and did not have the energy to draw like the artist I am, Ha! I will be going to walmart to check out the E6000. This will be one expensive project but the end result will be perfect for my haunted house.

Thanks everybody and stay tuned!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
wow I thought you finished the chandelier and that was the finished result 10th pic going down the chandelier on the stand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No E6000

Just came back from Walmart and they do not have the e6000. I checked the diy section and automotive and I was thinking weld on would work but they don't have that either. Jb weld was a consideration but you mix the two components together for desired effect and its more for welding metals together, etc. Tomorrow I will check Michaels for the E6000 but I'm thinking about putting the good old hot glue gun to the test. It can be used as a bonding agent but not too sure. I want a more permanent application so we shall see. These are just little bones being bonded to the face of the iron chandelier so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got some work done yesterday

After digging around for hours trying to find the chains and fixture to my chandelier, I finally found the darn thing! So I made sure that I would hang it up, ready for progress to be made. I have attached some photos of what I accomplished. I found the E6000 at JOANNS and Im sure glad that I did. Right now I'm contemplating on where to buy my skulls and me being a medical student I figured the best way to go is the budget medical skulls that come in three parts. http://www.dappercadaver.com/products/3-part-medical-skull.html

Dapper Cadaver has some really cool stuff for the extreme haunted houser's out there and I recommend all of you to check it out. If anybody knows of a better place to buy skulls on the internet or around her in sunny southern california, please let me know because I have not purchased them yet. Now that I have this chandelier hung up, ideas are just flowing through me and I want to hear everybody else's ideas too because that's what these forums are for, am I not right?! Man I am so excited!

I will start off with four skulls and I need to find some human replica bones that will not dent my wallet too much. Some femur bones, humerus bones, ribs, vertebrae, etc. I will have a lot of searching around to do. Anyways enjoy the pictures! Oh and I also included a picture of my work bench. This is where all the inspiration and ideas/prop making happen. Of course I am twisted and ironically that is the name of my attraction during halloween.... I welcome you to TWISTED DREAMS. Until next time take care!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for sharing the photo and yes, ive heard of the place. A lot of amazing pictures on Google. If only I could get my hands on a lot of bones!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I'll be watching as I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Oh and there's absolutely nothing wrong with being twisted, I honestly believe it is just a way of life (or that's what I keep telling everybody). :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its been long overdue

Hey all

It has been forever since I last was on here but I told myself today that I would take some time out to update everyone that may be interested in this project.

The E6000

Well let me start off by saying this stuff did not work at all. I tried various other adhesives and still they were all misses. Turns out that my old trusty hot glue gun did the trick. The way i envisioned this chandelier to look was that of a very boney look. So covering the chandelier with pieces of bone is my goal. I glued in a test bone and it worked, so i will continue as planned and if it looks like crap I can always take it off.

Painting the skulls and bones.

When i bought the skulls and bones they were notpainted and totally looked like plastic. I used my airbrush and i applied acrylic paint to all the pieces. The two colors i used were black and brown and i did a smudging technique after the paint was setting for about three to five minutes.this technique gives a realistic aged look to these skulls...especially the skulls. The black was used for getting in all the cracks and suture lines of the skull thus really adding depth. After drying time, I applied brown to give a more natural bone look. Now the secret lies in a simple damp washcloth. After the paint has dried for a few minutes, you began to blot the painted bone to take off some of the paint but not all. This techniqye works well with making latex masks as well. It gives layers of different shades. The amount of coats depends on personal preference. So that is how I accomplished my realistic look.

Moving foward

I used small bendable rods and i connected them to the chandelier. The use of twine did a really good job of camoflauging the rods and put this chandelier on a different level. I then tied pieces of twine to the chandelier for each bone that is hanging from the chandelier. I drilled holes in all my fake bones and my real bones and tied them all in place.

I need more bones to finish this project but im pretty much almost done. I have a vertebrae with occipital lobe and pelvis hanging in the center. I am still trying to figure out if i should detach the pelvis or leave it on. I have some femurs that will hang in the center along with the vertebrae to add more fullness to the center.

As always suggestions are welcome and thanks for taking out the time to check this out. I will be posting another project of mine soon. It is almost time to start building my haunt, putting together my frames for walls and going over our drawings of the maze. Im so excited but dead tired because nursing school is not over yet. But if theres a will, there a way. Till next time, keep halloween alive!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts