Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for terminology to identify this part and or a source for such parts. Basically it's part of an animated prop. On the bottom it goes into a square slot. On top as you can see it has a small post that a latch goes over. Sorry I didn't take a picture of the bottom. It is diecast metal which might mean it was custom. What exactly do you call such pieces of hardware? Is there a technical term?
IMG_9243.jpg

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops sorry i should have refreshed my memory. This part slides over a square post which accepts a screw(pictured) to secure it. The bottom plate if you will does not extend the full length of the top oval plate. The plates do not separate.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
It shouldn't be too difficult to modify the one you have. Just get a drill bit the same diameter as the post that broke off, and drill a hole through where it broke off. Then just get a machine screw that size and attach it to the cam.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree and that is what I was going to do. However I opted not to do that. Since this problem just happened again to one of my customers in another country I'm seeking out cleaner solutions. This is a mechanical prop. Children may be around it. If they stick their hand inside with a screw moving around(as if mechanism wouldn't be bad enough)they could get seriously hurt. Also not everyone has a drill press, or bench vice, and or equipment to correct this problem.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
That appears to be a bad spot weld on a bit of low grade aluminum by someone who's not very well versed in welding. The best option is to have them take it to a fabrication shop; where they'll re-drill the hole and grind the bottom of the post flat, so they can spot weld the post back in place, since the customers tooling for doing so seems to be lacking. You certainly won't be drilling through a spot weld with anything less than a high quality tungsten carbide bit, unless you just generally feel like destroying a perfectly good M2 high speed steel or Ti oxide coated bit. Just an fyi: weld beads are typically much harder than the surrounding material.

I doubt a professional shop would charge much for that tiny amount of work, I wouldn't see it being worth more than $20 U.S. frankly.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still though it would probably be too much of a hassle for a customer or the average one. I was kind of hoping that someone made these things or something similar. Think it was made on the spot? Or made for a particular run of props by the factory who manufactured it? In my mind I worry this could become a common problem seek out solutions now rather than later. Customers do not like post sale procedures. Thanks for the information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts