Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some tips, tricks and or advice on making paper mache clay. I know most of the traditional ways to make it but my wife aka SATAN refuses to let me boil any paper at all and the nearest craft store is seriously 50+ miles from me plus satan isn't a fan of me spending money on things we don't need. So if any of you mache experts know any other ways i can make clay that would be flippin sweet because i have several heads, skulls & couple pairs of hands that need clay work done. I read something about how you can make snot rag clay only using tepid water instead of boiling it, so if any one else has heard this method let me know what the trick is. thanks

wAkethedeAd

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I think you are approaching this problem all wrong. The best way to tackle any problem is start at the root. So lay back on the couch and tell us why Satan won't let you boil paper. Is she afraid you'll ruin her pans? Have you had 'kitchen incidents' that you aren't telling us about? Is it a trust issue? :D

You might be better off searching for how other forum men have handled their 'difficult' wives instead of searching for alternative recipes for paper maché. Otherwise, you'll just keep running into the same wall!

MsMeeple
*taking off her Dr. Phil mask*

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
I use either the flour/glue/water combo with no problems (and I don't boil anything) and I've heard a lot of people just do the water/glue combo to make the paste.

I'd say you need to make Satan a nice hot toddie and tuck her into bed, then have your way with the kitchen. If you leave any evidence, deny everything and tell her she was sleepwalking (or it was the kids, or the dog, or cat, etc.).

·
Registered
168 Posts
will begging help? hahahahahaha
Bake her a loaf of bread and then just happen to use a little extra flour on the side for your little projects.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i could never get the boiled stuff to work well. what i do now is take some news paper, use a shredder and fill a pot with it. i've tried other paper but the more, fiberuse? it is the better. put some water in and let it sit for about five minutes. then take an old egg beater and just keep mixing it untill its a uniform much. add water as need. how much will deppened on your own likes when working with it. for me it works better then anything else i've tried so far.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All your suggestions are good< thanks a lot. thanks for taking off the dr. phil mask ms meeple. any time i see dr phil i want to kick in my tv.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have started using cellulose insulation as my paper mache pulp of choice. I have tried boiling the newspaper and the cellulose insulation is so much easier. I don't even boil my paste anymore. I just use some very hot water and flour and a little fabric starch and mix it to the consistency of gravy, then I add handfuls of the cellulose insulation a little at a time until I get the texture I'm looking for. I bought a HUGE bag of cellulose insulation at Lowe's for $7 and will it will probably be enough to last me the rest of my life (lol).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have started using cellulose insulation as my paper mache pulp of choice. I have tried boiling the newspaper and the cellulose insulation is so much easier. I don't even boil my paste anymore. I just use some very hot water and flour and a little fabric starch and mix it to the consistency of gravy, then I add handfuls of the cellulose insulation a little at a time until I get the texture I'm looking for. I bought a HUGE bag of cellulose insulation at Lowe's for $7 and will it will probably be enough to last me the rest of my life (lol).
I've actually been thinking about going & getting some cellulose insulation so I think you convinced me. lol. Thank you for making my mind. And a big thanks for giving me an idea on how to mix it up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've actually been thinking about going & getting some cellulose insulation so I think you convinced me. lol. Thank you for making my mind. And a big thanks for giving me an idea on how to mix it up.
You are welcome! I hope it works out for you.

So the cellulose makes it clumpy? Or does that stir in? I've used the glue, flour, water, salt recipe but done smooth projects.
It makes it sort of clumpy, but it is much smoother than I can get it by boiling newspaper. If I want it really smooth, I will build it up with the cellulose and then either sand it down or put some more mache strips as the final layers.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Gotcha. Never tried the boiled recipe. Skeen, I looked at your photos and wondered if you made those pumpkins??? They are cool and I love your witch shelf.

How about weatherproofing paper mache? I have modge podge, but I don't think that will cut it.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Weatherproofing is a matter of taste. Some people give it several coats of outdoor (exterior) latex paint, some use marine spar laquer, or Thompsons weather seal.

Me, I'm a fan of what the tombstone crafters are using these days - Dry-Lok sealant. It's made to seal concrete basement walls and floors. It dries to a concrete finish and it's tough as nails. A couple coats should do the trick.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Gotcha. Never tried the boiled recipe. Skeen, I looked at your photos and wondered if you made those pumpkins??? They are cool and I love your witch shelf.

How about weatherproofing paper mache? I have modge podge, but I don't think that will cut it.
Yes, I made the pumpkins. That was my big project for last winter. They are a combination of strip mache and the boiled newspaper pulp. This was before I discovered cellulose insulation! I made nine paper mache pumpkins. I actually did not even weather proof my pumpkins last year. I ran out of time so I just painted them and kept them inside until my party and then put them out again on Halloween night. I have bought some dry-lok to weather proof another project, but do not want to have to re-paint my pumpkins so I think I'll just use a water proof clear deck sealant on them.

Thanks for the compliments on the witches shelf! I have been gradually adding to it for the past several years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts