Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a giant spider for my front yard, and I'm going to have a 'victim' hanging from a tree. It's going to be covered in 'webs' so all you'll be able to see is the form of the body not the color or details. I'm looking for the cheapest way to attain this. An actual life-sized mannequin is pricy. I thought of maybe finding an inflatable person but after doing a search it turns out that all I got were x-rated results and while those would actually work perfectly for what I'm thinking of, I cannot risk my wife or kids finding it and asking questions. I have ZERO experience with crafting anything with mud or stuffing or such.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm making a giant spider for my front yard, and I'm going to have a 'victim' hanging from a tree. It's going to be covered in 'webs' so all you'll be able to see is the form of the body not the color or details. I'm looking for the cheapest way to attain this. An actual life-sized mannequin is pricy. I thought of maybe finding an inflatable person but after doing a search it turns out that all I got were x-rated results and while those would actually work perfectly for what I'm thinking of, I cannot risk my wife or kids finding it and asking questions. I have ZERO experience with crafting anything with mud or stuffing or such.

Does anyone have any ideas?
You could make your own, stillbeast had a vid, I am using the technique to make burnt bodies, not complete but here's a pic
image.jpg
So first you wrap a person with plastic wrap then coat with about 2 to 3 layers of tape, cut them out and tape back together and stuff

·
Registered
394 Posts
Halloween Asylum sells inflatable (nonsexual) mannequins. Some people use bluckies to create spider victims, such as this:

http://scarefx.com/project_spider_victim.html

When I made a victim last year, all I did was take plastic grocery bags and stuff them with newspaper. I used clear packing tape to tape the bags together into the approximate shape of a body, which I then coated with spray glue and webbing. This approach worked fine. For a spider victim, all you really need is the vague suggestion of a body shape under the webbing, so almost anything will work. A full-on mannequin may be overkill.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
If you have a dollar store near you they have Painters coveralls. They are white, light weight and easy to stuff and form to shape a body. Use a foam head or one of those beauty school heads, or even a cheap skull for the head. You can use cheese cloth or a dingy old sheet to wrap it before you add all the spider webs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This was made with duct tape... My husband put on old clothes, I taped him from top to bottom (socks included) then cut it off of him and stuffed it with LOTS of newspaper as I re-taped it...(you can google duct (duck) tape mannequin) If it's free standing, it will need some support but hanging should be fine. You can always get a styrofoam head at hobby lobby and cheap wig at walmart...if it's even needed.

Halloween Carl.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
This was made with duct tape... My husband put on old clothes, I taped him from top to bottom (socks included) then cut it off of him and stuffed it with LOTS of newspaper as I re-taped it...(you can google duct (duck) tape mannequin) If it's free standing, it will need some support but hanging should be fine. You can always get a styrofoam head at hobby lobby and cheap wig at walmart...if it's even needed.

View attachment 170135
Thats awesome! Well done-

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

View attachment 170135
Wow, that is way above and beyond what I'm trying to do. I swear the guy standing in line behind me at Wal-mart today didn't look half as real as that thing you made!

I'm really going for the cheapest approach possible since I'll be spending so much creating the huge spider. I'll try the grocery bag thing and see if I can make it remotely humanoid. That link that TheMonsterSquad posted is also an amazing source of info.

I can see this forum is going to be very dangerous for my wallet. So many great ideas here!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I can see this forum is going to be very dangerous for my wallet. So many great ideas here!
That' what I thought when I first joined the forum, but you'll get a lot of great ideas for making props from rubbish and salvaged items,
It's not the cost that's the problem, it's finding space to store all the great props you'll want to build!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you have a dollar store near you they have Painters coveralls. They are white, light weight and easy to stuff and form to shape a body. Use a foam head or one of those beauty school heads, or even a cheap skull for the head. You can use cheese cloth or a dingy old sheet to wrap it before you add all the spider webs.
Great idea!!! I'm always looking for new ways to make dummies. Mannequins are expensive, hard to find, and heavy.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,887 Posts
Last year I made a shape excacty as the one you need. I made it on the fly at work.

We were having a Halloween office decorating contest. Our hallway was decorated with spiders and the ceiling with webbing. I took a skull from DG and the body form was a big bundle of newspaper. I took webbing and just kept wrapping around the newspaper

You'll see it as it takes shape. Simple and cheap

·
Registered
61 Posts

View attachment 170135
Whispers, I plan to use two Styrofoam heads this year and would love to know what you painted yours with. Or did you put a mask over it? I need to make mine look somewhat like a person, although they don't need to look as good as yours. I'm cutting the top of the heads off and serving shrimp "brains" on them Martha Stewart style. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great idea...very creepy!
I purchased a head from dapper cadaver...it's not something you would want to use for that since they are expensive. You may be able to find a mask that you can put over a styrofoam head. Some of the heads are small though and not all masks will fit them well. You'd probably need to get the larger male size...I've seen those at hobby lobby. You will also need to make sure your mask has eyes or that you can find some that look real. You may also want to get a mask that covers the mouth so you don't have to deal with that issue or you could always by fake teeth and carve a spot out for them in the styrofoam.
I like your idea and think you could probably get it to look right with a little work.
If you don't make the head look real, you could get creative with some other options.
Here are a couple that look pretty cool and could still have "brains"... Good luck!

Halloween pinhead.jpg

Halloween mummy head.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the ideas Whispers! I had actually already started thinking about wrapping the heads in cheesecloth similar to the second photo you posted. I can take your idea of eyeballs and teeth, glue them on then wrap them for a more realistic head. Then some blood dripping down from the brain section...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts