Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have an idea in my head for an invitation to my Witches Wingding party this year, but can't seem to work out how to go about it. Hopefully you will be able to give me some suggestions.

The idea is this: I'd like to make a standard card-size invite (portrait layout) that looks like a witch's spellbook on the outside, with party details inside. Problem is, I can't draw AT ALL. :( Any suggestions on how to make this happen would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do you have a photo-editing software on your computer? If so I can throw you a few links that you could knock together to make the invite look the part.

Failing that, I'd use a printer and word:
download a "spell book"/magical looking font from dafont.com or some place like that.

Use an image from either deviant art (stock section) or google images of the spell-book you want, Make it so it looks like there is a front and back cover on each half of the paper you're using. Inside stain with tea/coffee to make it look like an aged page and have your info there.

If you like I can throw something together for you as I just realised my "guide" is a bit chaotic and confusing :D

I'll make it approx a4 sized and then you can downscale/add your own info without any probs :)

ps: it would call for some double sided printing though :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
here's a quick mock-up I made/edited with a picture of Leather from google.
I'll do some more work on it later, this is just a quicky thrown together in a few mins, which gives you front and back with a spine that can be either folded to make the card a bit more square when stood up [ (obviously centre bit would be much much smaller)
or fold through the spine for the usual < card shape.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/twistedhero/spellbookinvitecopy.jpg

·
Registered
240 Posts
HI

Oh MHooch...I am so glad you have mentioned your Witches Wingding. I have been thinking about this for months and I wanted to ask for your help.

I remember reading all about yours last year. I remember looking at the wonderful pictures and I so want to do one here.

Can you tell me what sort of things you do on your Wingdings? I thought about having a Halloween quiz but that was about the extent of what I came up with. I still intend to do the usual party for the children as I always do, but I fancied doing something a little more sophisticated for me and the girls. Please can you suggest anything...yours looked like so much fun.

I just wish we could get everyone on here together...wouldn't that be something!

BW
:)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I would go about the card scrapbook style but that's because I am not computer skilled and make handmade cards. How many invites do you need to make? That may determine if you want to do them this way or not. I would use colored card stock for the front (maybe a purple). They make little silver brads that would look like nails. Let me know if you want to go this route & I can give you more tips & ideas.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Calligraphy parchment from Michaels is awesome. Just find some cool images to go with it. Put it all together with your photo editing software and your good.
Once you print out the invite I like to tear the edges to give the paper a 'roughed up' look.

Good luck!

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you!!

Scry, that looks PERFECT!! Now teach me to do that!!! Tee-hee!

Britishwitch, I will pm you, so as not to hog the thread. :D

Halloween Princess, I would LOVE to hand make each one, but that would be a tremendous undertaking. We'll see how good I can get it to look on computer first. But I might holler for help if that doesn't work out. ;)

Killer, thanks for the tip about Micheal's calligraphy parchment. I'll check it out. I was actually thinking of tearing or burning the edges.

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. Thanks again for the input, everyone.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks to all of you!!

Scry, that looks PERFECT!! Now teach me to do that!!! Tee-hee!
If you aquire photoshop I sure will, the link will take you to an a4 sized image you can download and feel free to use if you want :)

I can do a inside version and you basically double sided print them, maybe use a calligraphy pen to write the details of the event?
You COULD do the outer book print sheet, the back of that tea stained or printed parchment. and then another page folded inside so its like a mini booklet... maybe include a "glamour' spell (to transform ones appearance) or something like that.

but anyways back to my point, yep I can teach you - its honestly not too hard :)

ps: you can get free trials of photoshop on their website :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
MHooch, after reading what you want and everyone's suggestion, I do think the handmade ones would be the best, but definitely time consuming. So I took upon myself to create these images that you or anyone else is more than welcome to use, I can take the text off the inside and give blank images to anyone or put text in for you. Just felt like something fun to do.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't bother much with parchment paper. I create the image in photoshop, then throw in some stains or whatever. It sounds like you have help already, but I'm willing to help if needed. The front of the invite could be done with some added embossing and trim. Something similar to the Halmark talking spell book.

spell page example...
http://www.mourningwood.com/images/page37.jpg

I'm with Britishwitch...I want to know what you put together for this party. Please share.

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help and suggestion, everyone!!

Darklore, I have one of those Hallmark spellbooks, and that is exactly the thing I sort of based my ideas on.

Scry, thanks I appreciate your giving spirit. I am so computer illiterate it is not even funny.

Empty_W, that is a great design. I am going to shamelessly steal the inside...it is too cute, especially the part about the warts!! LOL

I have also come across something that I think I'm going to use, and all I'll have to do is download and print...here's the link, just scroll down to Necronomicon Notebooks...I love the covers. Haunted Paper Toys

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi here is something i put together in photoshop (just the front cover, I will do a back if you would like to use this image)

Due to the fact that my photobucket images are accesable to the public who dont use this forum, I added my watermark but if anybody requires to use this image i will take off the watermark and do a back cover (also it will be a bigger image)

Here it is with text

Full spellbook i decided to do a back cover lol (added a beveled edge for dimension)

·
Registered
222 Posts
MHooch, after reading what you want and everyone's suggestion, I do think the handmade ones would be the best, but definitely time consuming. So I took upon myself to create these images that you or anyone else is more than welcome to use, I can take the text off the inside and give blank images to anyone or put text in for you. Just felt like something fun to do.

This may be a dumb question, but what program and how would you go about filling in the details of what, where, and when?

I'm almost embarassed to ask this.

Btw, this is one terrific idea.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but what program and how would you go about filling in the details of what, where, and when?

As long as you have a detailed copy of the image...and the creator doesn't mind...you simply bring it into your own graphic program and draw on top.

Say for example...I post this image.

The original for printing should be much higher resolution. Here's a higher resolution (4Mb) image I would use for printing.

http://www.mourningwood.com/spellbook/spellbook_blood.jpg

If you have (and learn) a good graphic program like PhotoShop, you can create different layered versions until you get what you want. Here are examples of alternate versions of the same image...

one in gold...

http://www.mourningwood.com/spellbook/spellbook_gold.jpg

one with wings...

http://www.mourningwood.com/spellbook/spellbook_2.jpg

If the intent is to allow others use of the image...it's nice to keep things generic.

Note - with my image, I have created it so in such a way, that sections of it can be printed to create a book the thickness of an manilla folder...or up to one inch thick. [apologies for the long winded post]

·
Registered
166 Posts
jack o latern...that is awesome...I might have found my invites for this yr.....I had to give up my psycho circus theme till next yr and was stumped on what to do for invites now. I'd love to use your spell book idea if you don't mind

·
Registered
608 Posts

I use Adobe products, for text I use Illustrator, what I would do, is I would leave out the "who, where, when etc" so you could fill that in with heck, microsoft paint if you wanted to. I can tell you font and size. But you could also print it out and hand write the details.

·
Registered
608 Posts
whilst I REALLY REALLY would NOT recommend it - you could even fill in the details with Microsoft Paint or Word.

I may do an inside bit for my book too so that people have a choice :)
Scry,

I was thinking, though I'd have to look into it, almost turn it into a form in acrobat, so just make a pdf that they have to fill in the blanks. I believe you can embed the font. That way they could have a completely typed up piece, but it can be the info they want. I'll have to research it more.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts